I also have the same problem and are new to Linux. Please guys spare a thought for use guys trying to get going. Give us a pointed
I ofcourse am a newbie so excuse my newbieness. I'm trying to just boot off of the CD to check it out but I keep getting "ERROR: CANNOT UNITE READ-ONLY MEDIA AND INTIAL RAMDISK!" when i'm in the middle of booting. Anybody have any suggestions of a solution?
Newb Sparky24
I also have the same problem and are new to Linux. Please guys spare a thought for use guys trying to get going. Give us a pointed
im a n00b to and kant get the boot cd to boot, im tryin 2 use a live CD as the comp im tryin 2 run it on dont have a HDD. i get errors like:
1)2)scsi0: error on channel 0, id0, lun0 CDB 0x30 00 00 00 40 003)Raw sense data: 'some numbers'.
I/O Error: dev 0b:00, sector 217804)Cloop: Read Error at pos: 'some numbers' in file /cdrom/knoppix/knoppix 6557 bytes lostNumber 2 normally just repeats untill knoppix gives up trying to load.Cloop: error -5 uncompressing block 774 'some numbers' /linuxrc: /knoppix/bin/ln: I/O Error
Anyone got ne ideas why thats happenin?
Did everyone reporting this problem confirm that they had a good download by checking the md5 sum before burning? And did you burn the CD at a slow speed like 4x? I do these two important things, and I've never seen the problem you all seem to have, my Knoppix CD's boot fine on 4 different computers (3.8.1 does have some other problems on one of the systems, but I never see what you people are reporting).Originally Posted by Chaos5lw
i dont know about mine cause my friend burnt it as i dont have broadband, ill askOriginally Posted by Harry Kuhman
I'm getting the same error ERROR: CANNOT UNITE READ-ONLY MEDIA AND INTIAL RAMDISK! on my SONY Vaio laptop when I use the 3.8.1 or 3.8.2 to boot. When I use the CD on another PC it works fine so I know the CD is fine. The issue is how it acts with my laptop. What's really strange is that I can use Knoppix 3.3, 3.4, 3.6 and 3.7 CD's and I have no problem with the laptop. It's only since trying to use the 3.8.1 and 3.8.2 that I am having problems.
some more info, i am trying to run Knoppix 3.6, 2004-08-16
i even tried running the test cd thing and still got the same errors reported above, im gonna see if i kan borrow a cd from the it technicians at school as they have an official cd somewhere.
will let ya know if it helps...
Managed to get a Knoppix 3.8.1 and now my system boots fine, the problem i am now having is loading my saved config files. I have tried now with 2 Disks, freshly formatted with Knoppix (One formatted DOS, this other formatted exi2) and saved the config files to them.Originally Posted by Chaos5lw
I go to boot my system and enter the cheatcode "floppyconfig" and boot, everything is fine until it gets to loading the config files and i get "Could not autodetect filesystem" and it then asks for a password and stops booting.
This happens with both disks...

Vintage Gateway Solo 2100 Laptop Intel Pentium 150MHz, No Operating System
$40.00
Vintage Sony 3.5” Floppy Disk Storage Box w/ Mixed Diskettes & Warranty Card
$29.00
Vintage Microsoft Windows 95 Full Retail Version COMPLETE 3.5" Floppy Disks Box
$100.00
RARE-Vintage Emachines Monster 500A-Pentium III-256MB Ram 4.3GB HDD No OS *READ*
$299.99
Vintage Apple Macintosh Performa 560 Money Magazine Edition w/ Box Tested Works
$1394.07
Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot
$316.95
Vintage Panasonic Sr. Partner RL-H7000W Portable IBM PC-Compatible Computer
$275.00
RAM-Tester for vintage RAM, 4816, 4164, 41256, 514402, and more - USA Seller
$35.00
Vintage Desktop No Brand-Pentium 4-512MB Ram 40GB HDD ATI R200 Fire GFx OS W98E
$139.99
Vintage Iwill XA100 Plus Super Socket 7 Motherboard + K6-III 450 + 896mb READ
$179.99