Hold it. This is a HD install?
Did you install the sound card before or after you installed Knoppix?
How are you trying to run the CD player?
I have successfully installed Knoppix 3.7 to HD, connected to a windows printer. can get to my windows HD. Knoppix works without a problem.
I just installed a CD player and sound card.
No sound.
How do I mount?? or get CD player to work.
I tried looking in control center but could not find anything that looked right.
Path forward??
Bob
Hold it. This is a HD install?
Did you install the sound card before or after you installed Knoppix?
How are you trying to run the CD player?
I iInstalled CD player before the HD install of Knoppix (it was in the box). I installed the sound card after because I could not get the MB builtin sound to work using XMMS but I can not get XMMS to work with sound card either. I was going to put in a DVD player but thought I should see about the CD first.
Bob
It sounds like the autorecognition stuff hasn't run after the install of the soundcard. This is normal in beginners (I think) and Debian HD installs.
I know someone posted some way of getting it to run again in this very forum. You could try a search.
In the meantime, make sure the on board soundcard is disabled in the bios.
MB soundwas on I turned off.
If it boots up as just Linux (2.4.27) there is no sound. Sound system error "Error while init sound driver. Could not connect to jackd. Will continue using null output."
If I boot it up as the last version listed (start up says it is 2.6.9) I have weak sound. With everything at 100% it is not too loud.
Can I make it boot up as the last one listed on lilo?
Is there any way to turn it up?
TXS
Bob
Sure. Just post your /etc/lilo.conf here and someone will edit it.Can I make it boot up as the last one listed on lilo?
Almost certainly. By default, just about all the mixers start with a low volume (so as not to deafen the unwary).Is there any way to turn it up?
As a first step, go to
Kmenu>Multimedia>KMixer (a small icon will appear on your taskbar, usually bottom right). Right click on it and select Show mixer window and whack the volume up.
I have sound, have volume control on task bar.
Found lilo.conf
Not sure how to paste here but I can edit it with mcedit or xedit.
How do I paste it or list it here? Or can just delete the lines image/boot/vmlinux-2.4.27 etc down to the 2.6.9 section and leave it in? Or can I comment them out like in DOS? If so what is the comment character?
Thanks
Use the # for comment lines. I put one in front of all lines I did not want to see at startup. I added a "delay=100"
It says to run lilo after editing. I assume I do that from the directory I am in after I finish editing.
Bob
I've never used either of those editors, but, generally (and this applies just about throughout *nixes) put the cirsor where you want to copy from, left click and move the mouse to highlight everything you want to copy, move the cursor to where you want it pasted and -- depending on your mouse -- either middle click or left and right click together.Not sure how to paste here but I can edit it with mcedit or xedit.
It's one of the (many) things I miss when I'm forced to use Windows.
Just a short note, on most scrollmice the wheel is a third button.
just try marking desired text and move to where you want it and try clicking the wheel.

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$179.98
Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$239.99
Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA
$350.48
Lenovo ThinkServer TS460 Part Number: 70TS-S01U00
$279.00
INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU
$11.00
Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS
$84.49
DELL Precision 5820 Workstation Xeon W-2123 3.6ghz/NO RAM/NO SSD/P400 Vid
$139.99
Intel Xeon W-2255 SRGV8 3.7GHz 10-Core LGA2066 Server CPU Processor
$249.99
Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00
Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00