This is for Knoppix 3.8.1 run from the CD. I searched the forums for an answer to this question, and being new to Linux most of the answers were over my head. But after rooting around I found a solution that I hadn't seen yet. In the menu, under system, go to Admin--alsaconf and run it. It configured the card and I had sound! That was all there was to it. I have'nt rebooted from the CD yet, but I've saved the config to my hard drive, so I hope this configuration will stick. The only drawback was no MIDI but I don't expect to need it. The computer is a Dell Inspiron 9100. Hope this will help someone. Good luck.

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2
$81.99
Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$60.00
New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW
$120.00
NEW Samsung NoteBook NT930QCG touch LCD Full Screen Assembly Blue
$225.77
RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro
$81.99
RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4
$93.99
RAM-GDS-DOCK-SAM88CPU RAM GDS® Tough-Dock™ for Samsung Tab A9+
$174.99
Samsung SCXSTP000, SCX-STP000 (Swingline Staple Cartridge - 3 Refills)
$57.99
Samsung Galaxy View Tablet 18.4 SM-T670/677A Charging Port 100% Original Oem
$98.99
Lot of 50 Samsung PC4 32GB 2400T-R Server RAM Modules
$8499.99