Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Knoppix not finding SATA drive

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    3

    Knoppix not finding SATA drive

    Yesterday my computer would not boot. I downloaded Seagate disc scanning tools, seems there is a bad sector (NTUSER file or something). I want to back up my data before I send the disk in to Seagate, so I burned the Knoppix 3.8.2 iso and I am using it now. The problem is that it cant find the SATA drive (its a Seagate 80GB SATA). Any advice?

    Code:
    root@1[knoppix]# lspci -v
    0000:00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corp. 82875P Memory Controller Hub (rev 02)
            Subsystem: ABIT Computer Corp.: Unknown device 1014
            Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0
            Memory at e0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=128M]
            Capabilities: [e4] #09 [2106]
            Capabilities: [a0] AGP version 3.0
    
    0000:00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corp. 82875P Processor to AGP Controller (rev 02) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
            Flags: bus master, 66MHz, fast devsel, latency 64
            Bus: primary=00, secondary=01, subordinate=01, sec-latency=32
            I/O behind bridge: 0000a000-0000afff
            Memory behind bridge: f8000000-f9ffffff
            Prefetchable memory behind bridge: e8000000-f7ffffff
    
    0000:00:03.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corp. 82875P Processor to PCI to CSA Bridge (rev 02) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
            Flags: bus master, 66MHz, fast devsel, latency 32
            Bus: primary=00, secondary=02, subordinate=02, sec-latency=0
            I/O behind bridge: 00009000-00009fff
            Memory behind bridge: fc000000-fc0fffff
    
    0000:00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI #1 (rev 02) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
            Subsystem: ABIT Computer Corp.: Unknown device 1014
            Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 16
            I/O ports at bc00 [size=32]
    
    0000:00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI #2 (rev 02) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
            Subsystem: ABIT Computer Corp.: Unknown device 1014
            Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 19
            I/O ports at b000 [size=32]
    
    0000:00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI #3 (rev 02) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
            Subsystem: ABIT Computer Corp.: Unknown device 1014
            Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 18
            I/O ports at b400 [size=32]
    
    0000:00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI #4 (rev 02) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
            Subsystem: ABIT Computer Corp.: Unknown device 1014
            Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 16
            I/O ports at b800 [size=32]
    
    0000:00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 02) (prog-if 20 [EHCI])
            Subsystem: ABIT Computer Corp.: Unknown device 1014
            Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 23
            Memory at fc100000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=1K]
            Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 2
            Capabilities: [58] #0a [20a0]
    
    0000:00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corp. 82801 PCI Bridge (rev c2) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
            Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0
            Bus: primary=00, secondary=03, subordinate=03, sec-latency=32
            I/O behind bridge: 00007000-00008fff
            Memory behind bridge: fa000000-fbffffff
    
    0000:00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corp. 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) LPC Bridge (rev 02)
            Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0
    
    0000:00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corp. 82801EB (ICH5) Serial ATA 150 Storage Controller (rev 02) (prog-if 8a [Master SecP PriP])
            Subsystem: ABIT Computer Corp.: Unknown device 1014
            Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 18
            I/O ports at <unassigned>
            I/O ports at <unassigned>
            I/O ports at <unassigned>
            I/O ports at <unassigned>
            I/O ports at f000 [size=16]
    
    0000:00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corp. 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) SMBus Controller (rev 02)
            Subsystem: ABIT Computer Corp.: Unknown device 1014
            Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 3
            I/O ports at 0500 [size=32]
    
    0000:00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corp. 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)
            Subsystem: ABIT Computer Corp.: Unknown device 1014
            Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 17
            I/O ports at d800 [size=256]
            I/O ports at dc00 [size=64]
            Memory at fc102000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512]
            Memory at fc103000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
            Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 2
    
    0000:01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon R350 [Radeon 9800 Pro] (prog-if 00 [VGA])
            Subsystem: ATI Technologies Inc: Unknown device 0002
            Flags: bus master, stepping, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 5
            Memory at e8000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=128M]
            I/O ports at a000 [size=256]
            Memory at f9000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
            Capabilities: [58] AGP version 3.0
            Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 2
    
    0000:01:00.1 Display controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon R350 [Radeon 9800 Pro] (Secondary)
            Subsystem: ATI Technologies Inc: Unknown device 0003
            Flags: stepping, 66MHz, medium devsel
            Memory at f0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [disabled] [size=128M]
            Memory at f9010000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [disabled] [size=64K]
            Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 2
    
    0000:02:01.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corp. 82547EI Gigabit Ethernet Controller (LOM)
            Subsystem: ABIT Computer Corp.: Unknown device 1014
            Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 18
            Memory at fc000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=128K]
            I/O ports at 9000 [size=32]
            Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 2
    
    0000:03:02.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Texas Instruments TSB43AB23 IEEE-1394a-2000 Controller (PHY/Link) (prog-if 10 [OHCI])
            Subsystem: ABIT Computer Corp.: Unknown device 1014
            Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 18
            Memory at fb005000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=2K]
            Memory at fb000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
            Capabilities: [44] Power Management version 2
    
    0000:03:03.0 RAID bus controller: Silicon Image, Inc. (formerly CMD Technology Inc) SiI 3112 [SATALink/SATARaid] Serial ATA Controller (rev 02)
            Subsystem: Silicon Image, Inc. (formerly CMD Technology Inc) Asus A7N8X
            Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 19
            I/O ports at 7000 [size=8]
            I/O ports at 7400 [size=4]
            I/O ports at 7800 [size=8]
            I/O ports at 7c00 [size=4]
            I/O ports at 8000 [size=16]
            Memory at fb004000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512]
            Capabilities: [60] Power Management version 2

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    3
    I tried using my Fedora Core CD1 and went into rescue mode, there I at least find the partitions, but I can mount them (theres no fstab file). What I noticed is that it uses "sata_sil" drivers. Does knoppix have this? (im guessing not).

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    3
    Ok so I checked around and kernel2.6 should have sata_sil. But a new problem has occured, now I cant even use Knoppix. It freezes after "Scanning for harddisk partitions and creating /etc/fstab... Done.". My HDD is making this repeating clicking sound that its been doing when it hangs.

    God this is a mess..

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix not finding Hard Drive - PLEASE HELP!
    By tsherlin in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-23-2008, 08:43 PM
  2. Recovering a XP SATA drive with Knoppix?
    By Random Lee in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-15-2007, 03:53 AM
  3. SATA drive is boot yet Knoppix 4 hangs
    By Quip Frok in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-07-2006, 07:16 PM
  4. Knoppix 4 on SATA DVD drive
    By jleroy in forum Knoppix DVD
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-04-2005, 06:04 PM
  5. how do i format a SATA drive from knoppix
    By likwid in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-06-2004, 09:46 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch

$46.99



TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed picture

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed

$199.99



NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$49.99



5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S... picture

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...

$9.64



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597 picture

TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597

$36.98



Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts picture

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts

$69.00



Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks picture

Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks

$224.95



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99