Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Unable to get wireless to function :(

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    67

    Unable to get wireless to function :(

    PC is a Thinkpad R31 with wireless Network controller: Intersil Corporation Prism 2.5 Wavelan chipset (rev 01)

    I've tried wlcardconfig and netcardconfig and I get this:
    Sending DHCP broadcast from device eth1 SIOCSIFFLAGS: Device or resource busy

    I got the winblow$ drivers from ibm and ran ndiswrapper:

    knoppix@0[knoppix]$ ndiswrapper -l
    Installed ndis drivers:
    2802w driver present
    aeiwlnic driver present, hardware present

    knoppix@0[knoppix]$ iwconfig
    lo no wireless extensions.

    eth0 no wireless extensions. (eth0 is a onboard nic)

    eth1 IEEE 802.11-DS ESSID:"" Nickname:"Prism I"
    Mode:Managed Bit Rate:11 Mb/s
    RTS thrff

    knoppix@0[knoppix]$ netcardconfig
    Sending DHCP broadcast from device eth1SIOCSIFFLAGS: Device or resource busy
    Operation failed.
    Failed.
    Hit return to exit.

    What am I missing here Thanks for any help!!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Piraeus / Hellas
    Posts
    121
    Dear harryhood,
    regarding knoppix 3.8.2 (you did not mentioned your version of knoppix)
    I also tried to set up my wireless network card (linksys WPC54GS) using the same way as I did with knoppix 3.8.1 (here it is working perfectly) but I have not success at all. The possible problem seems the absent of ndiswrapper.ko kernel module.
    I suppese that your problem is the same...

    If anybody can suggest/help up please ...

    Best Regards,
    Mike Kranidis

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2
    dear harryhood, dear mikekgr,

    I think you found the solution by yourself, it is very easy. In Knoppix v 3.8.2 the file ndiswrapper.ko in the /lib/linux/modules/misc directory is missing. Just run Knoppix 3.8.1 (if you have it still) and copy the ndilwrapper.ko file to your harddisk. Then run Knoppix 3.8.2 and put the file into the modules/misc directory. Then everything is like in v3.8.1. I added a line to a script. (cp /hdxx/ndiswrapper.ko ...moduledir/misc/)
    Here as an example is my script for a longshine 8031g pci-card in a network with acces-point. (copy and modify for your own settings)

    #!/bin/bash
    # Setup longshine 8031g wlan-pci-card with ndiswrapper for Knoppix
    # Version für3.8.2

    PATH="/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/local/bin"
    export PATH

    # Get root
    [ "`id -u`" != "0" ] && exec sudo "$0" "$@"
    unset SUDO_COMMAND
    # The lines above are from the original ndiswrapper perl-script


    # remove acx_pci-mdule
    # not necessary in Knoppix 3.8.2 (but in Kanotix)
    # rmmod acx_pci
    #

    # mount hd
    mount /mnt/hd_where_you_have_the_script_and_the_driver

    # The module from Version 3.8.1 is simply inserted
    cp /where_it_is/ndiswrapper.ko /UNIONFS/lib/modules/2.6.11/misc

    # now everything works like with version 3.8.1

    # launch ndiswrapper

    ndiswrapper -i /where_the_drivers_are/TNET1130.inf

    # originally the name of the file was TNET1130.INF (upper-case) extension
    # insert module

    ndiswrapper -m

    # now configure with iwconfig
    # depending on your configuration
    iwconfig wlan0 essid xxx channel x key restricted (key)


    # if all went right the next line initializes network

    pump -i wlan0


    # at last a message to user

    Xdialog --title "Mein Wlan" --backtitle "Ergebnis" --msgbox "Das Script ist beendet." 12 75

    # control by going into internet or running kwifimanger

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Piraeus / Hellas
    Posts
    121
    Dear martinppy,
    many many thanks for your fine howto regarding the ndiswrapper.ko and the rest info.

    Best Regards,
    Mike Kranidis

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    67

    CD

    I probably should have mentioned that I'm running from the CD, not a HDD install. But your message gives
    me insight into the problem. Thanks!

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2
    Dear Harryhood,

    because of the UNIONFS feature (since v 3.8.1) you have a R/w environment even if you run Knoppix from CD. For som directorys You have to be root.
    best regards martinppy

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Jerusalem, Israel
    Posts
    1
    I've encountered the same problem. I'm running from CD and I'm copying from USB key the missing modules to /lib/modules/2.6.11/misc/
    Yet modprobe does not locate it afterwards. Any idea how to help it locate it?

    Thanks,
    Tal Rotbart

Similar Threads

  1. TightVNC Viewer - copy/paste function
    By satimis in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-30-2008, 04:14 PM
  2. Changing DHCP function in miniroot
    By maxim9 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-22-2008, 10:06 PM
  3. Static IP won't function
    By bearqst in forum Networking
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-18-2005, 03:57 PM
  4. Reassigning mouse button function
    By el_supremo in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-15-2004, 03:41 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$99.99



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$316.61



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$60.00



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$349.48



Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1

Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1" WQXGA OLED 165Hz Core i9-14900HX 16GB 1TB RTX 5070

$1469.00



1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive picture

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive

$86.95



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$1090.00



External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$19.99



Dell Precision 7670 i7-12850HX 2.1GHz 32GB 1TB NVMe 16

Dell Precision 7670 i7-12850HX 2.1GHz 32GB 1TB NVMe 16" A1000 Win 11 Pro: Good

$649.00



External Solid State Drive USB 3.2 Gen2, 1TB SSD External Hard Drive with C to A picture

External Solid State Drive USB 3.2 Gen2, 1TB SSD External Hard Drive with C to A

$100.00