Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: One very scared Newbie.

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    HULL
    Posts
    30

    One very scared Newbie.

    Hi there. I am running Win ME and have the Knoppix Live CD which I have been trying out for a while. I like the idea of using Knoppix, but have been unable to get it to locate the Speedtouch USB modem which my ISP Karoo supplied a part of their set up. So I eventually discovered that I will never achieve this unless I install Knoppix on my hard drive.

    Okay so I thought I would make my system into a dual boot one, untill I am happy with Knoppix and have everything I need set up. Sadly it isn't that easy. I have the book Knoppix Hacks, which told me to type at boot up, knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$ sudo knoppix-installer Sure enough I did this only to be told repeatedly that this could not be found. Thats strange surely because apparently it is on the CD.

    So I foolishly thought, well I will have a look at qtpartition which the author mentions. There I found the following.

    01 /dev/hda-1 free 0.03MB
    02 /dev/hda-1 fat32 38.29 GB
    03 /dev/hda-1 free 0.18MB

    Obviously at this stage I froze because I just do not know what to do with the information. I know that at 72 I am perhaps stupid for even thinking of going into something that is obviously a very tricky business. But......I am so unhappy with Windows.

    Maybe someone has knowledge of why the info in the book Knoppix Hacks did not work? It sure bugs me that it didn't work. Then again maybe it is a good thing or I might have done so damage that is not easilly undone. Thanks for letting me unburden myself here. Whatever the outcome. Regards. Grandad.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    Did you type all of this:

    knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$ sudo knoppix-installer

    ?

    You should have just typed:


    sudo knoppix-installer


    Do run a full defrag and scandisk of Windows (from Windows) before resizing the largest Windows partition.

    Don't worry about the age thing: there are very few of us on this forum who tell girls we are older than we are, and it's quite usual for a newbie to make 3 or 4 attempts before a successful install.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    17

    You might also check some books

    You might also look at some books that walk you through Knoppix. O'Reilly has an excellent book called
    "Knoppix Hacks" I believe.


    Cheers,
    Freitag

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    HULL
    Posts
    30

    One Very scared Newbie

    Hello Fingers99 and Freitag. Many thanks for coming in to help me. Yes, I did type it all in because thats what I was told to type in. This is from the book 'Knoppix Hacks' by Kyle Rankin. But having had a second look at the book in question, I can see that sudo knoppix-installer is actually in bolder type than the rest. If the author had written type in the command in bold, then I would have done so. But there you are, thats me all over.

    Oh boy, I can see that there will be some stormy seas ahead and I shall have to be extra careful of what I type in in future. Thanks again for being so kind and for the help given. Regards Grandad.

Similar Threads

  1. Scared to use qtparted or gparted
    By meburke in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-23-2006, 06:40 PM
  2. Serious Newbie...Need Help
    By stuffdeer in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-27-2006, 08:25 AM
  3. Monitor trouble - I'm so scared!
    By Audax in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-06-2004, 01:29 PM
  4. scared of installing on my laptop
    By SpankySTD in forum Laptops
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-26-2004, 06:29 PM
  5. An easy newbie question - very newbie
    By Drago in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-21-2003, 10:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Early Intel 3301 White Cap Vintage Ceramic chip - ALL LEGS INTACT (BO) picture

Early Intel 3301 White Cap Vintage Ceramic chip - ALL LEGS INTACT (BO)

$750.00



Vintage Iwill XA100 Plus Super Socket 7 Motherboard + K6-III 450 + 896mb READ picture

Vintage Iwill XA100 Plus Super Socket 7 Motherboard + K6-III 450 + 896mb READ

$179.99



Vintage NEC CDR-1410A 50 Pin SCSI CD-ROM Optical Drive Used picture

Vintage NEC CDR-1410A 50 Pin SCSI CD-ROM Optical Drive Used

$39.99



Vintage Sony CD-ROM Drive CDU5211 IDE Optical Used picture

Vintage Sony CD-ROM Drive CDU5211 IDE Optical Used

$19.99



EARLY INTEL 3101 Vintage Ceramic chip. ALL LEGS INTACT (BO) picture

EARLY INTEL 3101 Vintage Ceramic chip. ALL LEGS INTACT (BO)

$350.00



247 Lot 5.25

247 Lot 5.25" Floppy Disks Vintage Used Turbo Pascal CAD Data Files IBM PC DOS

$199.99



Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot picture

Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot

$316.95



Intel 8080A Vintage ceramic chip - 1 leg missing w/ some corrosion (BO) picture

Intel 8080A Vintage ceramic chip - 1 leg missing w/ some corrosion (BO)

$75.00



VINTAGE Custom Built Desktop-AMD A6-3500@2.10GHz 8GB RAM 80GB HDD NO OS-READ picture

VINTAGE Custom Built Desktop-AMD [email protected] 8GB RAM 80GB HDD NO OS-READ

$160.00



Vintage Gazelle Systems OP-Tune 1.3 Box Complete CIB Dual Floppy 3.5 5.25 DOS picture

Vintage Gazelle Systems OP-Tune 1.3 Box Complete CIB Dual Floppy 3.5 5.25 DOS

$54.99