-
Knoppix / Debian Kernel compilation
I am running Knoppix 3.8 (Debian 3.1, Linux 2.6.11 i686) and would like to install drivers for new hardware (a LinModem) but find that, when I try to install the drivers they ask for the Linux source build which aparently is expected to be in /usr/src/linux.
There were no file in the directory so I went into KPackage and downloaded the Kernal image for 2.6.11. This operation took several minutes.
This created a new directory /usr/src/linux-2.6.11 but this directory also seemed to be empty (even when I clicked 'show hidden files' in KDE). However, there seemed to be header files in other directories under /usr/src
So, why are the files not visible/available? Am I doing something wrong here? Or are the source/image files stored somewhere else? Can I do a search for a particular file name to see if they are in another location?
Once I have found the files I will need to do 'make menuconfig' and then will need to recompile the Kernel.
For the recompilation of the Kernel, a C compiler will need to be installed and so I searched KPackage for a C Compiler but there didn't seem to be an obvious one. Can anyone point me to it?
Any tips that you can give me on these topics would be a great help.
Regards,
Alan Searle.
Similar Threads
-
By nibl in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-24-2006, 05:00 PM
-
By kevingpo in forum General Support
Replies: 5
Last Post: 11-08-2005, 08:46 PM
-
By freier in forum Tips and Tricks
Replies: 0
Last Post: 06-03-2004, 12:16 PM
-
By bcalder in forum General Support
Replies: 5
Last Post: 03-15-2004, 09:42 PM
-
By mordor in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-26-2003, 03:40 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro
$81.99

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666 PC4-21300 288-Pin DIMM RAM M393A4K40CB1CRC0Q
$185.00

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$90.00

Samsung - 990 PRO 1TB Internal SSD PCle 4.0 NVMe M.2
$200.00

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2
$81.99

RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4
$93.99

Samsung Galaxy Tab SCH-1800 7" 4GB Wi-Fi + Verizon Tablet Working
$30.00

RAM-GDS-DOCK-SAM88CPU RAM GDS® Tough-Dock™ for Samsung Tab A9+
$174.99

New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW
$120.00

Samsung Galaxy View Tablet 18.4 SM-T670/677A Charging Port 100% Original Oem
$98.99