Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: How can I install Knoppix without installing Lilo or Grub?

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Stanwood Washington
    Posts
    84

    How can I install Knoppix without installing Lilo or Grub?

    I guess the title about says it all.

    I want to install Knoppix 3.8.1 without installing Lilo or Grub. I have a good grub install, and I want to keep it. I will add the required commands to launch the new install after the install is done. Anyway I can do this, or am I asking too much?

    GMD

  2. #2
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Menlo Park, California
    Posts
    674

    Re: How can I install Knoppix without installing Lilo or Gru

    Quote Originally Posted by Mustang64
    I guess the title about says it all.
    I want to install Knoppix 3.8.1 without installing Lilo or Grub. I have a good grub install, and I want to keep it. I will add the required commands to launch the new install after the install is done. Anyway I can do this, or am I asking too much?
    GMD
    You should try the Windows Partition PMI: http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Win_Partition
    skip the first steps, and basically just load the kernel and initrd_ntfs (even if you do not load the iso file from the ntfs partition) from what ever partition you like, using your existing grub installation but after editing the menu.lst. Hope this help...
    Cheers, Gilles

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Belgrade, YU
    Posts
    334
    May be this is easier: during installation, install Knoppix boot loader in his root partition.
    After that you will have 2 posibillities:

    a) to do as you allready says

    b) to put in your Grub this:
    "title Knoppix 3.8.1
    rootnoverify (hd0,x)
    makeactive
    chainloader +1"

    x = Knoppix partition

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Stanwood Washington
    Posts
    84
    Trying to install "over windoze", or using any "microshaft" software, is not the issue. I have several "other" linux distro's installed. I just want to install Knoppix without the automatic install of Lilo or Grub.

    Anybody know of how to do that? Any way I can do the "beginners" install, so I will have the HW detection, from Mepis?

    BTW - I do not want to have anything to do with Redmendoze if I can help it.

    GMD

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Belgrade, YU
    Posts
    334
    I just want to install Knoppix without the automatic install of Lilo or Grub.
    This is exactly what I said - instalation of Grub in Knoppixs root partition will make no changes at all in your existing Grub, in MBR. Later you will add necessary commands in your existing Grub, to boot Knoppix.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Sydney/Australia
    Posts
    311
    If the installer gives you a choice, chose not to by just selecting that option. If not ...

    From the cdrom ...

    ]# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/fd0 bs=1024 count=1440

    ]# dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/fd0 bs=446 count=1

    Also create a bootdisk for the new install. Use that to boot into the new install. Then do ...

    ]# dd if=/dev/fd0 of=/dev/hda bs=446 count=1

    Whatever was acting as a bootstrap in you disks bootsector will be restored. Any changes that were made to your table will be retained.

    If Grub or Lilo was bootstrapping, which ever one will be back.

    Now you just have to edit the appropriate config and in Lilos case, re-run it.

    Please be careful when using 'dd'. And having a couple of floppy backs, bootfloppys can never hurt.

    >>
    instalation of Grub in Knoppixs root partition will make no changes at all in your existing Grub, in MBR. Later you will add necessary commands in your existing Grub, to boot Knoppix.
    >>

    Very true, but my problem there is that it's a bit messy. Why have a nulled loader installed, if it's just going to sit there doing nothing. And, if the installer isn't providing a bypass option, or an option to make a bootfloppy instead ... then the installer is faulty.


    jm

    Code:
     -:-  If the system is the answer, then the question
                        must have been really stupid       -:-

  7. #7
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Basel, Switzerland
    Posts
    31
    >quote="Mustang64"]Trying to install "over windoze", or using any "microshaft" software, is not the issue. I have several "other" linux distro's installed. I just want to install Knoppix without the automatic install of Lilo or Grub.<

    so completely without lilo or grub , well I think this might not work. At least in the knoppix own boot pratition (or root perhaps) you will have to install the lilo.
    After that you have to add the partition to the menu of your grub and all should go.

  8. #8
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Menlo Park, California
    Posts
    674
    Quote Originally Posted by ottosykora
    >quote="Mustang64"]Trying to install "over windoze", or using any "microshaft" software, is not the issue. I have several "other" linux distro's installed. I just want to install Knoppix without the automatic install of Lilo or Grub.<

    so completely without lilo or grub , well I think this might not work. At least in the knoppix own boot pratition (or root perhaps) you will have to install the lilo.
    After that you have to add the partition to the menu of your grub and all should go.
    Grub can load both the kernel and the initrd (initial ramdisk) with all the kernel options from the menu.lst OR from the command line prompt (entered by typing the "C" key form the grub menu). Grub can read the kernel and initrd files from various file systems and storage media: fat, ext, cdrom, ntfs, floppy, hd, usb dongle, ... As an other option grub can load and transfert the control to the bootlader of a partition of a mass memory device. And in that case you want to have lilo or an other bootloader to be stored in the boot sectors of that partition. This is really up to you. Hope this helps. Gilles

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Sydney/Australia
    Posts
    311
    The point is, the OPer says that Grub is already installed. Though it isn't stated where ... probably the mbr.

    There is no need to overwrite it during a subsequent Linux install. Windows , of course will ... but thats windows this is Linux and it shouldn't be tolerated.

    So many people just go along with that scenario, and then end up with a mash of multi, non linked Grub/Lilo installs with none of them working properly

    If the installer wont allow for bypassing that stage then it is a faulty installer. Regardless of the Linux flavour it belongs to.

    Even the primitive woody 3.0 r0 installer has a bypass option as does BSD's.

    Grub and Lilo just need a kernel to reference, or via the "other" configuration, an Os's loader, if it isn't a Linux, located on the OS's root partitions first sector. As is the case with things like windows and BSD.

    Grub and Lilo don't need to be further installed to those locations !

    Thats just a waste of boot time aka double-handling.


    jm

    Code:
     -|-  If the systems the answer, then the question
                        must have been really stupid      -|-

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Belgrade, YU
    Posts
    334
    This is from Kanotix installer, which is now Knoppix installer too:

    http://forum.kanotix.net/viewtopic.php?t=180

    13. Next you will be asked "Choose where the boot loader (grub) shall be installed. Select "mbr: master boot record", and select "Next". If you use a different bootloader and wish to continue to use a different bootloader then of course installing grub to mbr is a bad idea, the best option here is to install it to partition IF this is the case.

    I don't say this is best solution, but this is easiest for beginners...

Similar Threads

  1. debian/knoppix panic - lilo - grub- help
    By 2100cdt in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-17-2005, 07:41 AM
  2. HD install, LILO to GRUB conversion, boot error message.
    By ocean in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-01-2004, 01:26 PM
  3. Lilo loader failed to install...now how to load from GRUB>
    By nxumdon in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-22-2004, 03:38 AM
  4. LILO: Get rid of it to install GRUB
    By arthur in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-11-2003, 05:09 PM
  5. Installing lilo for HD install
    By socalgail in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-01-2003, 10:08 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel  Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD picture

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD

$1299.99



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$179.99



Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For  RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series picture

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series

$375.00



Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs picture

Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs

$49.99



IBM 02YC027 Seagate ST2400MM0129 2.4TB 10K SAS 12Gb/s 2.5

IBM 02YC027 Seagate ST2400MM0129 2.4TB 10K SAS 12Gb/s 2.5" Server Hard Drive

$200.00



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$110.30



IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server Intel Xeon E5630 4GB DDR3 No HDD picture

IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server Intel Xeon E5630 4GB DDR3 No HDD

$279.99



IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU picture

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU

$999.99



IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon  E5620 picture

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620

$199.99



DEFECTIVE IBM SYSTEM X3530 M4 7160AC1 Server 2INTEL XEON E52430L 0 80GB  G3D picture

DEFECTIVE IBM SYSTEM X3530 M4 7160AC1 Server 2INTEL XEON E52430L 0 80GB G3D

$142.50