-
Junior Member
registered user
CD player/sound card not work.
I have successfully installed Knoppix 3.7 to HD, connected to a windows printer. can get to my windows HD. Knoppix works without a problem.
I just installed a CD player and sound card.
No sound.
How do I mount?? or get CD player to work.
I tried looking in control center but could not find anything that looked right.
Path forward??
Bob
-
Senior Member
registered user
Hold it. This is a HD install?
Did you install the sound card before or after you installed Knoppix?
How are you trying to run the CD player?
-
Junior Member
registered user
Answer
I iInstalled CD player before the HD install of Knoppix (it was in the box). I installed the sound card after because I could not get the MB builtin sound to work using XMMS but I can not get XMMS to work with sound card either. I was going to put in a DVD player but thought I should see about the CD first.
Bob
-
Senior Member
registered user
It sounds like the autorecognition stuff hasn't run after the install of the soundcard. This is normal in beginners (I think) and Debian HD installs.
I know someone posted some way of getting it to run again in this very forum. You could try a search.
In the meantime, make sure the on board soundcard is disabled in the bios.
-
Junior Member
registered user
Weak sound
MB soundwas on I turned off.
If it boots up as just Linux (2.4.27) there is no sound. Sound system error "Error while init sound driver. Could not connect to jackd. Will continue using null output."
If I boot it up as the last version listed (start up says it is 2.6.9) I have weak sound. With everything at 100% it is not too loud.
Can I make it boot up as the last one listed on lilo?
Is there any way to turn it up?
TXS
Bob
-
Senior Member
registered user
Can I make it boot up as the last one listed on lilo?
Sure. Just post your /etc/lilo.conf here and someone will edit it.
Is there any way to turn it up?
Almost certainly. By default, just about all the mixers start with a low volume (so as not to deafen the unwary).
As a first step, go to
Kmenu>Multimedia>KMixer (a small icon will appear on your taskbar, usually bottom right). Right click on it and select Show mixer window and whack the volume up.
-
Junior Member
registered user
Sound
I have sound, have volume control on task bar.
Found lilo.conf
Not sure how to paste here but I can edit it with mcedit or xedit.
How do I paste it or list it here? Or can just delete the lines image/boot/vmlinux-2.4.27 etc down to the 2.6.9 section and leave it in? Or can I comment them out like in DOS? If so what is the comment character?
Thanks
-
Junior Member
registered user
I found some answers
Use the # for comment lines. I put one in front of all lines I did not want to see at startup. I added a "delay=100"
It says to run lilo after editing. I assume I do that from the directory I am in after I finish editing.
Bob
-
Senior Member
registered user
Not sure how to paste here but I can edit it with mcedit or xedit.
I've never used either of those editors, but, generally (and this applies just about throughout *nixes) put the cirsor where you want to copy from, left click and move the mouse to highlight everything you want to copy, move the cursor to where you want it pasted and -- depending on your mouse -- either middle click or left and right click together.
It's one of the (many) things I miss when I'm forced to use Windows.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Just a short note, on most scrollmice the wheel is a third button.
just try marking desired text and move to where you want it and try clicking the wheel.
Similar Threads
-
By Jonny_S in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 07-22-2006, 05:38 PM
-
By croeiii in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-14-2005, 05:32 AM
-
By President in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-07-2004, 02:54 AM
-
By Battousai in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-08-2004, 10:17 PM
-
By electronicjason in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 10-06-2003, 11:59 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1625.00

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed
$49.99

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$308.00

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD
$149.99

Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server
$349.99