Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Atheros support in Knoppix 3.8.1 ?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    6

    Atheros support in Knoppix 3.8.1 ?

    Before I download 3.8.1, can anybody confirm if the MadWiFi driver has been included ?
    Seeing that 3.8.1 has gone to only include a 2.6 series kernel, and not the 2.4 kernel available in 3.7, where MadWiFi where included from the prepackaged .debs at http://debian.isg.ee.ethz.ch/public/ I fear that 3.8.1 doesn't include the MadWiFi driver.

    So if anybody could confirm wheter it is included or omitted in 3.8.1 I'd appreciate it very much.

    Dutch_DK

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1

    Re: Atheros support in Knoppix 3.8.1 ?

    Hello,
    I confirm that: no support for Atheros WiFi on Knoppix 3.8.1. I downloaded the source code (I need to setup an
    hostapd authenticator) but I don't be able to compile the driver module. Anyone can suggest how to do it?

    Thanks.

    Y.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch_DK
    Before I download 3.8.1, can anybody confirm if the MadWiFi driver has been included ?
    Seeing that 3.8.1 has gone to only include a 2.6 series kernel, and not the 2.4 kernel available in 3.7, where MadWiFi where included from the prepackaged .debs at http://debian.isg.ee.ethz.ch/public/ I fear that 3.8.1 doesn't include the MadWiFi driver.

    So if anybody could confirm wheter it is included or omitted in 3.8.1 I'd appreciate it very much.

    Dutch_DK

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    5
    I have compiled a debian package(for knoppix 3.8.1 with the madwifi / Atheros drivers. It is available at the url below.
    It works on my IBM X40 laptop with no probs.
    Joel
    http://meself.com/misc

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by jrhall
    I have compiled a debian package(for knoppix 3.8.1 with the madwifi / Atheros drivers. It is available at the url below.
    It works on my IBM X40 laptop with no probs.
    Joel
    http://meself.com/misc
    Thanks, greatly appreciated, works fine here.

    Dutch_DK

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1

    But howto configure ?

    Hi
    I've downloaded your deb, then did a
    dpkg -i yourpackage.deb
    Installed without problems.
    But how and where do i configure knoppix to use my card ?

    Any hints are apreciated.

    greets

    chris

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    5
    After installing the package do a "modprobe ath_pci" and then use the following knoppix utility from the menus:

    Knoppix--->
    Network/Internet--->
    Wavelan Configuration

    It should detect your card. If you have probs let me know.
    Joel

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by jrhall
    After installing the package do a "modprobe ath_pci" and then use the following knoppix utility from the menus:

    Knoppix--->
    Network/Internet--->
    Wavelan Configuration

    It should detect your card. If you have probs let me know.
    Joel
    Joel, could I persuade you to write a short how-to on how you went about making the MadWifi deb package ?
    I'd like to test out the NewCore branch, but no matter what I do, I get errors about wireless.h missing, when I do a make configure. Have gotten the kernelheaders and kernelsource packages etc.

    Could you outline what packages you installed on your Knoppix 3.8.1 installation, before making the deb ?

    Dutch_DK

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    13
    Hi Joel,

    Thanks for the package and the help but unfortuantely I cannot get it to work

    Quote Originally Posted by jrhall
    After installing the package do a "modprobe ath_pci" and then use the following knoppix utility from the menus:

    Knoppix--->
    Network/Internet--->
    Wavelan Configuration

    It should detect your card. If you have probs let me know.
    Joel
    I installed the package with no problems and then ran "modprobe ath_pci" which ran fine:
    Code:
    root@1[net]# modprobe -v ath_pci
    insmod /lib/modules/2.6.11/kernel/drivers/net/ath_hal.ko
    insmod /lib/modules/2.6.11/kernel/drivers/net/wlan.ko
    insmod /lib/modules/2.6.11/kernel/drivers/net/ath_rate_onoe.ko
    insmod /lib/modules/2.6.11/kernel/drivers/net/ath_pci.ko
    root@1[net]#
    But if I run iwconfig, I do not see ath0 or wlan0. I only see lo and eth0 which is my "wired" network card.

    After running "modprob ath_pci" do I need somehow start it?
    I'm running Knoppix 3.8.1 and the wifi card is a Planet WL-3560 (cardbus)
    Any help would be appreciated.

    -jj

    lspci produces the following:
    Code:
    0000:00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corp. 440BX/ZX/DX - 82443BX/ZX/DX Host bridge (rev 03)
    	Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64
    	Memory at f8000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=64M]
    	Capabilities: [a0] AGP version 1.0
    
    0000:00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corp. 440BX/ZX/DX - 82443BX/ZX/DX AGP bridge (rev 03) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
    	Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 128
    	Bus: primary=00, secondary=01, subordinate=01, sec-latency=64
    	Memory behind bridge: f0000000-f7ffffff
    
    0000:00:02.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI1450 (rev 03)
    	Subsystem: IBM: Unknown device 0130
    	Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 168, IRQ 11
    	Memory at 50000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
    	Bus: primary=00, secondary=02, subordinate=05, sec-latency=176
    	Memory window 0: 18000000-183ff000 (prefetchable)
    	Memory window 1: 18400000-187ff000
    	I/O window 0: 00004000-000040ff
    	I/O window 1: 00004400-000044ff
    	16-bit legacy interface ports at 0001
    
    0000:00:02.1 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI1450 (rev 03)
    	Subsystem: IBM: Unknown device 0130
    	Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 168, IRQ 11
    	Memory at 50100000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
    	Bus: primary=00, secondary=06, subordinate=09, sec-latency=176
    	Memory window 0: 18800000-18bff000 (prefetchable)
    	Memory window 1: 18c00000-18fff000
    	I/O window 0: 00004800-000048ff
    	I/O window 1: 00004c00-00004cff
    	16-bit legacy interface ports at 0001
    
    0000:00:03.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corp. 82557/8/9 [Ethernet Pro 100] (rev 0c)
    	Subsystem: Intel Corp. EtherExpress PRO/100 SP Mobile Combo Adapter
    	Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 66, IRQ 11
    	Memory at e8120000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
    	I/O ports at 1800 [size=64]
    	Memory at e8100000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=128K]
    	Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 2
    
    0000:00:03.1 Serial controller: Lucent Microelectronics LT WinModem (rev 01) (prog-if 00 [8250])
    	Subsystem: Intel Corp.: Unknown device 2205
    	Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 11
    	I/O ports at 1840 [size=8]
    	Memory at e8121000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
    	Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 2
    
    0000:00:05.0 Multimedia audio controller: Cirrus Logic CS 4614/22/24 [CrystalClear SoundFusion Audio Accelerator] (rev 01)
    	Subsystem: IBM: Unknown device 0153
    	Flags: bus master, slow devsel, latency 64, IRQ 11
    	Memory at e8122000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
    	Memory at e8000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=1M]
    	Capabilities: [40] Power Management version 2
    
    0000:00:07.0 Bridge: Intel Corp. 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 ISA (rev 02)
    	Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0
    
    0000:00:07.1 IDE interface: Intel Corp. 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 IDE (rev 01) (prog-if 80 [Master])
    	Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64
    	I/O ports at 1850 [size=16]
    
    0000:00:07.2 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 USB (rev 01) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
    	Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 11
    	I/O ports at 1860 [size=32]
    
    0000:00:07.3 Bridge: Intel Corp. 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 ACPI (rev 03)
    	Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 9
    
    0000:01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: S3 Inc. 86C270-294 Savage/IX-MV (rev 13) (prog-if 00 [VGA])
    	Subsystem: IBM ThinkPad T20
    	Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 11
    	Memory at f0000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=128M]
    	Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 1
    	Capabilities: [80] AGP version 1.0
    
    0000:06:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications, Inc. AR5212 802.11abg NIC (rev 01)
    	Subsystem: Global Sun Technology Inc: Unknown device 7103
    	Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 11
    	Memory at 18c00000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
    	Capabilities: [44] Power Management version 2

  9. #9
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    13
    Joel,

    Just a further bitof info - When I run "modprobe ath_pci" anf i look at "dmesg" outpt I see this:
    ath_hal: 0.9.12.14 (AR5210, AR5211, AR5212)
    wlan: 0.8.4.5 (EXPERIMENTAL)
    ath_rate_onoe: 1.0
    ath_pci: 0.9.4.12 (EXPERIMENTAL)
    ACPI: PCI interrupt 0000:06:00.0[A] -> GSI 11 (level, low) -> IRQ 11
    ath%d: unable to attach hardware: 'Hardware revision not supported' (HAL status 13)
    Thanks,

    jj

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by wavesailor
    Joel,

    Just a further bitof info - When I run "modprobe ath_pci" anf i look at "dmesg" outpt I see this:
    ath_hal: 0.9.12.14 (AR5210, AR5211, AR5212)
    wlan: 0.8.4.5 (EXPERIMENTAL)
    ath_rate_onoe: 1.0
    ath_pci: 0.9.4.12 (EXPERIMENTAL)
    ACPI: PCI interrupt 0000:06:00.0[A] -> GSI 11 (level, low) -> IRQ 11
    ath%d: unable to attach hardware: 'Hardware revision not supported' (HAL status 13)
    Thanks,

    jj
    Which means the revision of the Atheros chipset used in your card isn't supported. Go post a message about it on the MadWifi developers list, if you want them to include that revision of the chipset.

    Dutch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. No internet connection w/atheros wireless
    By wicky615 in forum Networking
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-23-2006, 04:41 AM
  2. Atheros 802.11 on Thinkpad x60s
    By jeffmock in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-14-2006, 06:36 AM
  3. atheros and mad wifi
    By rcblach in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-09-2006, 07:00 AM
  4. Atheros (ath0) Problem in ver 4.0.2 (CD)
    By iminj in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-22-2005, 06:35 PM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-14-2005, 09:52 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$102.99



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$90.00



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive

$39.99



Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5

Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5" SSD

$23.00



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON picture

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON

$28.80



Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health picture

Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health

$24.00



Samsung New SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB 1TB 500GB 250GB NVMe M2 Internal Hard Drive Lot picture

Samsung New SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB 1TB 500GB 250GB NVMe M2 Internal Hard Drive Lot

$79.99



SSD 2.5

SSD 2.5" SATA Hard Drive for Laptop Desktop Windows 10 pro 64 Pro Pre-installed

$42.00