Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Knoppix help for a lifetime Windows user

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    10

    Knoppix help for a lifetime Windows user

    Hey all. I know you must get this question 10 billion times, but there wasn't any sticky and I didn't see a link, so please forgive me.

    But I've been using Windows based applications for my entire life, and I'd like to learn about Linux. I'm on Knoppix right now and have gotten the basics down, but a lot of it still eludes me.

    Is there a really good website that can show me the simularities and differences, and teach me to use Linux using windows as a reference. I've tried googling for one but the ones I've found use a lot of terms I don't understand.

    And on a specific note how do I run programs/create desktop shortcuts under Knoppix. I downloaded firefox and managed to get it to run, but I really don't know how, it's weird cuz it seems to be a "whether it feels like working or not" type deal. I try double clicking (I set the mouse up to require a double click) the executable file called firefox-bin but that doesn't seem to work, I looked at another one which is a "shell script" file called simply firefox and double clicked on that and sometimes it'll open and sometimes it won't, it seems to work every time I right click on the shell script and click open in new window it'll open it up but that's a pain in the a** and it also opens up another winow Idon't want.

    Thanks for your time,
    HH

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    See this similar question where I gave info on good books http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18386&.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-24-2008, 08:41 PM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-13-2006, 08:39 PM
  3. Windows: As User Friendly As It Is Secure :-)
    By sakiZ in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-07-2005, 04:52 PM
  4. Windows user now... Linux user tommorow?
    By zspecfenix17 in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-10-2005, 05:58 PM
  5. Unable to access windows partition as user 'knoppix'
    By area in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-30-2003, 07:21 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller picture

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller

$64.99



Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003 picture

Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003

$639.69



G-Technology G-SPEED Studio XL 48TB Thunderbolt 2 Storage - Housing Only picture

G-Technology G-SPEED Studio XL 48TB Thunderbolt 2 Storage - Housing Only

$200.00



HP controller P3410-69003 NetRAID-1M SCSI 64-bit U160 32MB Cache (PCI) picture

HP controller P3410-69003 NetRAID-1M SCSI 64-bit U160 32MB Cache (PCI)

$359.00



OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad 4 Bay RAID Storage Enclosure USB 3.1 Gen 2 No Drives picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad 4 Bay RAID Storage Enclosure USB 3.1 Gen 2 No Drives

$149.95



LSI 9260-8i 512MB SAS SATA 8-port PCI-E 6Gb RAID Controller Card US picture

LSI 9260-8i 512MB SAS SATA 8-port PCI-E 6Gb RAID Controller Card US

$29.88



MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00 picture

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00

$1619.30



Inspur LSI YZCA-00424-101 12Gbps SAS 3.0 RAID Controller CARD HBA  HDD picture

Inspur LSI YZCA-00424-101 12Gbps SAS 3.0 RAID Controller CARD HBA HDD

$14.99



Serial ATA two-port SATA PCI card (SiI3112 sil3112 chipset) picture

Serial ATA two-port SATA PCI card (SiI3112 sil3112 chipset)

$18.99



Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board picture

Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board

$175.00