Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Knoppix help for a lifetime Windows user

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    10

    Knoppix help for a lifetime Windows user

    Hey all. I know you must get this question 10 billion times, but there wasn't any sticky and I didn't see a link, so please forgive me.

    But I've been using Windows based applications for my entire life, and I'd like to learn about Linux. I'm on Knoppix right now and have gotten the basics down, but a lot of it still eludes me.

    Is there a really good website that can show me the simularities and differences, and teach me to use Linux using windows as a reference. I've tried googling for one but the ones I've found use a lot of terms I don't understand.

    And on a specific note how do I run programs/create desktop shortcuts under Knoppix. I downloaded firefox and managed to get it to run, but I really don't know how, it's weird cuz it seems to be a "whether it feels like working or not" type deal. I try double clicking (I set the mouse up to require a double click) the executable file called firefox-bin but that doesn't seem to work, I looked at another one which is a "shell script" file called simply firefox and double clicked on that and sometimes it'll open and sometimes it won't, it seems to work every time I right click on the shell script and click open in new window it'll open it up but that's a pain in the a** and it also opens up another winow Idon't want.

    Thanks for your time,
    HH

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    See this similar question where I gave info on good books http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18386&.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-24-2008, 08:41 PM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-13-2006, 08:39 PM
  3. Windows: As User Friendly As It Is Secure :-)
    By sakiZ in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-07-2005, 04:52 PM
  4. Windows user now... Linux user tommorow?
    By zspecfenix17 in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-10-2005, 05:58 PM
  5. Unable to access windows partition as user 'knoppix'
    By area in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-30-2003, 07:21 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB picture

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB

$8.47



Critical BIOS ROM HPE ProLiant DL160 DL180 Gen9 (U20) U20_3.40_08_29_2024+iLO4 picture

Critical BIOS ROM HPE ProLiant DL160 DL180 Gen9 (U20) U20_3.40_08_29_2024+iLO4

$7.99



Critical BIOS ROM HPE ProLiant DL60 DL80 Gen9 (U15) U15_3.40_08_29_2024+iLO4 picture

Critical BIOS ROM HPE ProLiant DL60 DL80 Gen9 (U15) U15_3.40_08_29_2024+iLO4

$7.99



2024 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive picture

2024 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive

$89.99



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$391.59



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$269.10



LOT 32GB 64GB 128GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick Retractable Thumb Drive picture

LOT 32GB 64GB 128GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick Retractable Thumb Drive

$879.99



1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive picture

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive

$86.95



2021 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive picture

2021 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive

$59.99



Critical BIOS ROM HPE ProLiant BL460cWS46 Gen9 (I36) I36_3.40_08_29_2024+iLO4 picture

Critical BIOS ROM HPE ProLiant BL460cWS46 Gen9 (I36) I36_3.40_08_29_2024+iLO4

$7.99