Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Knoppix install how-to on a 5th partition

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    3

    Knoppix install how-to on a 5th partition

    I'm no linux pro (far from it) but have experimented with it for about a year. I have SuSe 9.1 pers. running on an older Dell P2 & have tried several LiveCD's. I think at this point I'd like to try a full install of Knoppix on my newer machine, a self-made P4 3.2GHz H/T with three drives. I've just installed the 3rd, a 200GB Maxtor DiamondMax+10 which is hooked up to an Intel D865GBF-PERL mobo via a SIIG Ultra ATA/133 PCI card. Using Vcom System Commander I have set up 4 Windows XP Pro installs (100gig total) 80 Gb I want to leave for data storage & future OS's but in the last 20GB's I would like to install Knoppix. I have run the LiveCD version (3.8.1) on both units & it works fine. My question is: Should I allow Vcom to partion the 20gig sector (claims it can, would format 19.5GB EXT3, 500MB linux-swap) or just leave the last 20gigs unformatted & have Knoppix choose how to do it? In addition I'm not clear about the difference between what I'm seeing now with this liveCD version and what the resulting Debian install will be. The main reason I like the LiveCD is it's easier for a novice such as myself to accomplish things. What I don't like is that I can't really save or download anything since it has no permissions to access the drive it's running on (unless there is a way to set that up).

    Any advice on these questions would most certainly be appreciated.

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Basel, Switzerland
    Posts
    31
    >I have set up 4 Windows XP Pro installs <

    here I am not sure if this goes well. in general you might have only 4 partitions maximum on one disk. You can make 4 primary partitions for the bootable windows and one lexpended partition and here you can include all your logical drives including one for the linux.
    I would recommend not to try to produce more then 4 primary partitions on one drive. This could end up in a desaster.

  3. #3
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by ottosykora
    ....You can make 4 primary partitions for the bootable windows and one lexpended partition and here you can include all your logical drives including one for the linux.
    I would recommend not to try to produce more then 4 primary partitions on one drive. This could end up in a desaster.
    The partition table is a fixed size space at the end of sector zero track zero surface zero. Because of the number of bytes it is always limited to holding only 4 partitions. No more. One of the partitions can be an extended partition, which means that it defines a space on the disk that is treated as having "logical partitions" who's partition information is contained withing the extended drive, not in the partition table (getting past the 4 slot limit). But you can't have 4 primary partitions and one extrened partitions, you can only have a maximum of 4 real partitions, a combination of primary and logical partitions.

    Nothing too awful wil come of trying to create that 5th partition, the tools just can't do it. They all know of the limited size of the partition table.

    There have been some software programs that try to play some "tricks" to get more primary partitions. One trick is that they build a partition table of many partitions elsewhere and swap in 4 of them into the partition table space depending on what OS is being booted (the entire remainder of track 0 is normally unused since sectors must start on cylinder boundries and is often chosen as a place to "hide" this uber partition table, but using this space can lead to other problems). This lets you have many partitions on a disk but only 4 of them can be seen at a time. This is rather risky though, since other software doesn't know about the extra larger partition table. So other tools that look at the partition table or that try to restructure the disk will ignore it and very likely destroy data. And unfortunately, there are many things that try to grab that "unused" space in track zero, many copy protection scheemes and virus writers have tried to grab space there too, for example. Since it's space outside of the normal partitions and since people seldom document what space they are grabbing (certainly not the copy protection people or the virus writers) and there is no official central place to track this space, there is a chance that any data placed here will be overwritten. That's not an unacceptable risk to a virus writer, and the copy protection people don't seem to care much if their customers are inconvienced either, but it will ruin your day if you have a huge partition table stored in that space and your latest tax package decides to write all over it. So it's best to avoid software that plays such games with the partition table.

Similar Threads

  1. Install Knoppix with out partition
    By kwyjibo730 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-28-2005, 11:32 PM
  2. How to install Knoppix 3.6 on a less than 3 GB partition?
    By leenux in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-29-2004, 05:20 AM
  3. How to install Knoppix on the same partition as Windows?
    By Zibar in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-17-2003, 03:58 AM
  4. knoppix hdd install and swap partition ?
    By raphael24 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-07-2003, 10:48 PM
  5. knoppix hd install... partition problems...
    By abo in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-10-2003, 07:46 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



Seagate ST8000DM004 8TB 3.5

Seagate ST8000DM004 8TB 3.5" 6Gb/s 256MB SATA HDD P/N: 2CX188-300 Tested

$149.99



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95



Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive

$14.99



HGST HUA723030ALA640 3TB SATA 7200 RPM 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | 0F14044 (100%) picture

HGST HUA723030ALA640 3TB SATA 7200 RPM 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | 0F14044 (100%)

$45.00



HGST Ultrastar 7K4000 3TB 7200RPM SATA III 3.5

HGST Ultrastar 7K4000 3TB 7200RPM SATA III 3.5" Hard Drive HDD HUS724030ALA640

$39.99



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5

(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE

$199.99



Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS picture

Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS

$184.99