Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: How to change user to root

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    3

    How to change user to root

    First off I am very new to Linux. My goal is to use the Linux box to serve divx files to my media center which is running 2000. When I follow directions on setting up samba they require changes to the config file which is found in the root folders section. My problem at this point is that when I make changes I cant save them. I assume I need root privleges. I try to login as root but am told by the system that root login is not allowed. How do I change to root and stay that way untill I am satified with the changes? Tried to search man pages but found no clues.

    For info. this is a hard drive install with sudo knoppix installer first choice for beginners. Knoppix 3.7.
    Should I have chosen a different install selection such as the debain style one (old way)?
    I have other questions latter related to shared folders but need to get past this first.

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    You need to be root to change most configuration files.

    open a terminal.

    Type:

    su
    (prompt for root password)

    vim /path/to/file

    use the arrow keys to navigate. When you get to the line you want to edit, hit the "i" key. You can now edit the lines you want. When you're finished editing, hit the Esc key, and then shift+Z+Z to save.

    There is alot more to vim than this, and several vim editors out there.

    Alternatively, you could log in as root and use Gvim (which is like a vim with mouse support).

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    3
    Thanks fingers99 I will try that. However the system will not let me log in as root. How do you log in as root? Maybe I left out an important detail. I'm in the kde gui. I was using file manager to select the file and open it. This would be where I would be most comfortable editing. can I log in as root in the kde enviroment and edit in kwrite or similar editor? Please forgive any stupid questions but I am at the bottom of the food chain here.
    Thanks

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    3
    Ok. Tried what you said from terminal and it did ask for my password. It then gave me root permission.However when I type the path: /etc/samba/smb.conf it tells me permission denied. Do I need to reinstall to hard drive since I picked the one that said for begginners. It is not a problem since the machine is 100% for linux? Also I just downloaded 3.8.2. If so what type of instal,l as sudo gave me if I remember 3 or for choices?

    Thanks again.

    p.s. machine seems to run ok otherwise I am using it to type this message.

Similar Threads

  1. how do I change user? (/logout?) +how do I close the GUI?
    By jameshanley39 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-03-2006, 06:58 PM
  2. How to change the default user (knoppix)???
    By Sago7 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-04-2004, 04:09 PM
  3. Change user knoppix for other
    By jmpereira in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-07-2003, 11:45 PM
  4. HD Install User Change How To
    By Stephen in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-04-2003, 02:53 AM
  5. Change LC_MESSAGES variable and change user name name
    By Guest in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-22-2002, 04:49 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7

Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7" Color SIP-T48S | TESTED

$34.95



Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB picture

Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB

$27.07



Yealink SIP Phone T85W picture

Yealink SIP Phone T85W

$153.99



Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019 picture

Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019

$49.99



Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply picture

Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply

$25.00



Grandstream HT701 1-Port FXS Analog Telephone Adapter ATA VoIP Gateway -Free S/H picture

Grandstream HT701 1-Port FXS Analog Telephone Adapter ATA VoIP Gateway -Free S/H

$19.99



Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone picture

Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone

$49.28



Cisco/Linksys SPA2102 VoIP Phone Adapter Router 2FXS (Unlocked) picture

Cisco/Linksys SPA2102 VoIP Phone Adapter Router 2FXS (Unlocked)

$17.99



Yealink MP54 - VoIP Phone - Black Teams phone Android POE WIFI Bluetooth picture

Yealink MP54 - VoIP Phone - Black Teams phone Android POE WIFI Bluetooth

$49.95



Cisco CP-8841 IP Phone Charcoal Handset And Stand Included picture

Cisco CP-8841 IP Phone Charcoal Handset And Stand Included

$27.99