-
Senior Member
registered user
dselect/aptitude/apt-get
How can I tell these application which distribution(woody/sarge/sid) to look for ? I have debootstrap a woody distribution but want to upgrade the applications to sarge/sid(or testing/unstable).
thanks in advance.
-
Senior Member
registered user
edit your /etc/apt/sources.list file and change "stable" or "woody" to "testing" or "unstable", example:
Change the line:
deb ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian woody main contrib non-free
to:
deb ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free
or:
deb ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free
HTH
rock
-
Senior Member
registered user
That works, thanks.
I noticed that KNOPPIX use a some what different method by listing all (stable/testing/unstable) sources and use apt.conf to control what default to choose from.
I am wondering if it this case, there is any application which present the information in a nice way such that I can from one single interface to choose which distribution to pick from. Or may be I need to fallback to apt-get(which is a command line utility) pick which distribution to download from.
-
Senior Member
registered user
I only know and use apt-get, in knoppix since it has multiple repositories listed, ie: stable, testing and unstable; to install a package from the unstable repository you would use:
apt-get -t unstable install *packagename
Note: you would use " -t unstable " for sid, and " -t stable " for woody otherwise the default in apt.conf is used which is testing. My knoppix 3.1 1-20 release has the following line in /etc/apt/apt.conf:
APT:
efault-Release "testing";
...
so by default when you use apt-get install it would look in the testing repository.
HTH
rock
-
Senior Member
registered user
thanks again. Seems that I better stick with the command line which I have been using for quite some time.
-
You may want to look at pinning - works for me:
http://jaqque.sbih.org/kplug/apt-pinning.html
HTH
Steve
Similar Threads
-
By ogami1972 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 6
Last Post: 01-30-2005, 07:25 PM
-
By Sgeo in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 10-30-2004, 03:28 AM
-
By Timothy Truckle in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 05-10-2004, 09:26 PM
-
By Adm in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 10-13-2003, 05:09 PM
-
By davidHarris in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 14
Last Post: 05-01-2003, 04:43 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$179.98

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$239.99

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00

Genuine Intel Xeon W-2145 3.70Ghz 8 Cores LGA2066 CPU SR3LQ Tested USA SELLER
$94.94

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS
$84.49

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA
$350.48

Intel Xeon W-2255 SRGV8 3.7GHz 10-Core LGA2066 Server CPU Processor
$249.99

Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor
$50.00

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99