Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Booting From Windows [NTFS] Partition

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    30

    Booting From Windows [NTFS] Partition

    Hey everyone!

    I tried out Knoppix Live CD couple days ago and got into it. Now I'm trying to go one step further. Not really installing it (at least that's what I think I'm doing) but making booting a little bit easier.

    I followed this tutorial how to go by doing the [thread title!].
    http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Win_Partition

    I followed each one of the steps in the tutorial, restarted my pc, and here's what I saw:

    Grub 0.95

    Knoppix 3.8.1 from NTFS hda1 ISO
    Memory Test
    Knoppix 3.7 Kernel 2.6
    There's some more stuff to the above but I think the first choice is what I want. There were couple other "Knoppix 3.7 Kernel 2.6" but when I tried selecting them it looked for the Knoppix CD. Not what I want.

    So... Here's what's wrong when I select the first choice [Knoppix 3.8.1 from NTFS hda1 ISO].

    Welcome to Knoppix Live Linux-on-CD [NTFS]

    Scanning for USB/Firewire
    (Some other crap here)

    Looking for CDROM in /dev/hdh16 mount: ioct1: LOOP_SET.FD: Bad file descriptor

    Mount: Could not setup loop device

    Couldn't find Knoppix filesystem, sorry.
    Dropping you to a very limited Shell.
    (Here are couple commands)
    I'm pretty sure I didn't edit one of the default file settinsg (which I'm going to troubleshoot in a while) but... Anyone know what could be the problem?

    If it helps, my Windows still works (Yupiee!) and I'm running the following:
    AMD Athlon 64 3200+ OC 2.2GHz
    1GB 3200 RAM
    Albatron PRO 2 754 motherboard
    NVIDIA 6800
    120GB Seagate HD with 8/MB cache. Single NTFS partition.

    From the CD, Knoppix works like a dream. Everything works. (Except that I don't want to have the cd in the drive all the time).




    One more question. If I make a logical partition for my Knoppix (not NTFS... Forgot the name), will I be able to save files onto it?

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Menlo Park, California
    Posts
    674

    Re: Booting From Windows [NTFS] Partition

    Quote Originally Posted by Krogen
    ...I followed this tutorial how to go by doing the http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Win_Partition ...
    So... Here's what's wrong when I select the first choice [Knoppix 3.8.1 from NTFS hda1 ISO].
    ...
    Looking for CDROM in /dev/hdh16 mount: ioct1: LOOP_SET.FD: Bad file descriptor
    Mount: Could not setup loop device
    ...
    What HD device are you booting from ? PATA, SATA, SCSI ?
    Once in the grub menu, type the key "c" to enter the command line menu. The "TAB" key will give you a list of the possible commands and will also do some kind of an autocompletion as with bash. Use this command line to figure out your disk/partition topoloy using kernel (hd[tab],[tab]) and update your menu.lst file. Remember that for grub (hd0,0) translate into /dev/hda1 for linux ... According to your log messages grub finds the knoppix kernel and the initrd files but the knoppix linuxrc script (inside the inird) cannot find the knoppix iso/loopback file. You should probably edit the bootfrom=/dev/hda1/boot/knoppix.381/*.iso portion of the kernel parameters line. Hope this help.

    Quote Originally Posted by Krogen
    One more question. If I make a logical partition for my Knoppix (not NTFS... Forgot the name), will I be able to save files onto it?
    Yes, it is easy(ier) to save files, persistent home directories, to anything but ntfs.
    Now as far as I know, knoppix 3.8.2 should be able to use a ntfs file created under windows as a /swap and /home partitions
    So bottom line, the latest knoppix release should allow you to do everything with a single ntfs partition.
    Cheers, Gilles

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    30
    Thanks for the reply.

    I have a SATA hard drive.

    My menu.lst is configured as follows:

    # GvR April 12th 2005
    color black/cyan yellow/cyan
    timeout=15
    default=0

    title Default Boot on HD 0
    rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    chainloader +1
    boot

    # Knoppix Boot from a single NTFS partition hda1:
    # All the files within the directory "Root_Of_NTFS" of the grubd.zip
    # have to be copied into the root of the NTFS hda1 partition c:\
    # but the boot.ini file (which is just here as an example,
    # the line "c:\grldr="Start Grub" has been added at the end of the boot.ini)
    # Copy the also the 700MB knoppix ISO file into c:\boot\knoppix.37\ directory

    title Knoppix 3.8.1 from NTFS hda1 ISO scan ramdisk=32MB
    kernel (hd0,0)/boot/knoppix.381/linux ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off vga=791 nomce quiet bootfrom=/dev/hda1/boot/knoppix.381/*.iso config=scan home=scan ramdisk=32768 noprompt
    initrd (hd0,0)/boot/knoppix.381/minirt_ntfs.gz
    boot

    title Memory test
    kernel (hd0,0)/boot/knoppix.36/memtest

    title Win311 from Dos from Floppy image 1.44Mb, just for fun...
    kernel (hd0,0)/boot/memdisk
    initrd (hd0,0)/boot/win311.img
    boot

    ################################################## ####

    title Knoppix 3.7 kernel 2.6 from NTFS hda1 ISO scan ramdisk=32MB
    kernel (hd0,0)/boot/knoppix.37/linux26 ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off vga=791 nomce quiet bootfrom=/dev/hda1/boot/knoppix.37/*.iso config=scan home=scan ramdisk=32768 noprompt
    initrd (hd0,0)/boot/knoppix.37/minirt26_ntfs.gz
    boot

    title Knoppix 3.7 kernel 2.4 from NTFS hda1 ISO scan ramdisk=32MB
    kernel (hd0,0)/boot/knoppix.37/linux24 ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off vga=791 nomce quiet bootfrom=/dev/hda1/boot/knoppix.37/*.iso config=scan home=scan ramdisk=32768 noprompt
    initrd (hd0,0)/boot/knoppix.37/minirt24_ntfs.gz
    boot

    ################################################## ####

    title Knoppix 3.6 kernel 2.6 from NTFS hda1 ISO scan ramdisk=32MB
    kernel (hd0,0)/boot/knoppix.36/linux26 ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off vga=791 nomce quiet bootfrom=/dev/hda1/boot/knoppix.36/*.iso config=scan home=scan ramdisk=32768 noprompt
    initrd (hd0,0)/boot/knoppix.36/minirt26_ntfs.gz
    boot

    title Knoppix 3.6 kernel 2.4 from NTFS hda1 ISO scan ramdisk=32MB
    kernel (hd0,0)/boot/knoppix.36/linux24 ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off vga=791 nomce quiet bootfrom=/dev/hda1/boot/knoppix.36/*.iso config=scan home=scan ramdisk=32768 noprompt
    initrd (hd0,0)/boot/knoppix.36/minirt24_ntfs.gz
    boot

    ################################################## ####
    Ufff... A lot.

    I tried changing the *.iso to my files name but... That didn't do it. Gave me the same error. Last but not least, I copied my .iso to the /Knoppix.37/ folder. Duh.

    Thanks again.

Similar Threads

  1. Access NTFS partition
    By naxinax in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-31-2009, 12:42 PM
  2. KNOPPIX IMAGE INSIDE WINDOWS NTFS PARTITION
    By CytoTech in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-12-2005, 01:26 PM
  3. Booting From [NTFS] Partition
    By twiistedkaos in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-28-2005, 01:23 PM
  4. ntfs.sys file: Writing on ntfs partition version 3.8.1
    By zette in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-04-2005, 03:03 PM
  5. Formatting partition for ntfs
    By dannysosa in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-05-2004, 03:50 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 16GB DDR4 3200MHz PC4-3200AA-SA2-12 Laptop RAM SODIMM (HP32D4S2S8ME-16) picture

Kingston 16GB DDR4 3200MHz PC4-3200AA-SA2-12 Laptop RAM SODIMM (HP32D4S2S8ME-16)

$64.99



16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR4 Gamer Desktop RAM PC4 MIXED BRANDS picture

16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR4 Gamer Desktop RAM PC4 MIXED BRANDS

$65.00



Lot of DDR4 Sodimm Laptop Ram (8-8GB sticks) (1-4GB Stick) picture

Lot of DDR4 Sodimm Laptop Ram (8-8GB sticks) (1-4GB Stick)

$250.00



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



G.Skill Flare X5 32GB (2x16GB) (DDR5-6000 DDR5 RAM Memory Cl30-38-38-96 AMD EXPO picture

G.Skill Flare X5 32GB (2x16GB) (DDR5-6000 DDR5 RAM Memory Cl30-38-38-96 AMD EXPO

$419.95



F4-3200C16D-64GVK G.Skill RipJaws 32GB RAM DDR4 3200MHz Memory picture

F4-3200C16D-64GVK G.Skill RipJaws 32GB RAM DDR4 3200MHz Memory

$159.00



Lot of 40 Mixed 16GB Ram Sticks DDR4 Laptop Mixed Brands & Speeds - All Tested picture

Lot of 40 Mixed 16GB Ram Sticks DDR4 Laptop Mixed Brands & Speeds - All Tested

$2399.99



Crucial 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 2666MHz Desktop 288 -Pin RAM Kit -OPEN BOX picture

Crucial 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 2666MHz Desktop 288 -Pin RAM Kit -OPEN BOX

$114.99



16GB ( 4X 4GB ) MEMORY DDR3 PC3-10600 1333MHz FOR DELL OPTIPLEX 790 780 990 980 picture

16GB ( 4X 4GB ) MEMORY DDR3 PC3-10600 1333MHz FOR DELL OPTIPLEX 790 780 990 980

$39.99



SK HYNIX 16GB DDR4 3200MHz PC4-25600 SO-DIMM 260-Pin Laptop RAM MEMORY picture

SK HYNIX 16GB DDR4 3200MHz PC4-25600 SO-DIMM 260-Pin Laptop RAM MEMORY

$79.99