Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: CD: not a valid block-device

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    15

    CD: not a valid block-device

    Hi,

    another problem: cannot mount a cdrom.
    I will get the message: not a valid block-device.
    What's wrong here?

    I've seen the thread #17348 and I checked my system.
    Here is what I found:
    uname tells me: 2.6.11 (from Knoppix 3.8.1)
    lilo.conf looks as described
    but I found a line like:
    append="ramdisk_size=100000 .... hda=scsi .... hdh=scsi"
    in it, but I do not have scsi nor do I use ist. Removing the entry
    hdc=scsi
    does not help.

    dmesg tells me: CD/DVD-drive is on hdc.

    Checking /dev/hdc: I changed the group to cdrom (was root).
    I also did this with /dev/cdrom and /dev/dvd.

    I created a new icon on the KDE-desktop: get the same message.

    So the situation is: mounting a CD via commandline or via KDE
    results in the message: not a valid block-device.

    What can I do?

    Thanks.
    AugustQ

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Did you run lilo after changing lilo.conf?
    Are you trying with a data cd? Audio cd's won't mount due to no filesystem.
    What does dmesg say about the cd?

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    15
    Hello Markus,

    sorry for beeing late.

    For safety I started lilo (I thin I started it after I made the changes). Here is what it says:

    /proc/misc: no entry for device-mapper found

    Don't know if this is a hint for my problem.

    dmesg: it tells me the following:

    hdc: LITEON DVD-ROM LTD163 ATAPI
    ide-cd: passing drive hdc to ide-scsi emulation

    the CD: I've used the Knoppix-CD for my tests, no audio-CD.

    So what's wrong with my system?

    Thanks.
    AugustQ

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Hmm, it's still using scsi emulation even if you removed hdc=scsi from lilo.conf. Just to be sure, remove it from all kernels (append lines) in lilo.conf and run lilo -v .
    Did running lilo say something like "Added linux" or did it just give the error? If just the error, post lilo.conf.
    If nothing else works, scsi emulation can be used with 2.6.x kernels, it's just unnecessary to use it.

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    15
    Hello Markus,

    by accident my lilo.conf still contained an etnry

    hdc=scsi

    which I removed. Then I started lilo:

    root@Athlon:/etc# lilo -v
    LILO version 22.6.1, Copyright (C) 1992-1998 Werner Almesberger
    Development beyond version 21 Copyright (C) 1999-2004 John Coffman
    Released 17-Nov-2004, and compiled at 20:30:43 on Dec 9 2004
    Debian GNU/Linux

    /proc/misc: No entry for device-mapper found
    Is device-mapper driver missing from kernel?
    /dev/mapper/control: open failed: No such device
    Failure to communicate with kernel device-mapper driver.
    /proc/misc: No entry for device-mapper found
    Is device-mapper driver missing from kernel?
    /dev/mapper/control: open failed: No such device
    Failure to communicate with kernel device-mapper driver.
    Incompatible libdevmapper 1.00.20-ioctl (2005-01-06)(compat) and kernel
    driver
    Reading boot sector from /dev/hda
    Warning: Kernel & BIOS return differing head/sector geometries for device
    0x80
    Kernel: 65535 cylinders, 16 heads, 63 sectors
    BIOS: 1023 cylinders, 255 heads, 63 sectors
    Using BITMAP secondary loader
    Calling map_insert_data
    Mapping bitmap file /usr/share/lilo/debianlilo.bmp
    Calling map_insert_file

    Boot image: /boot/vmlinuz -> vmlinuz-2.6.11
    Mapping RAM disk /boot/initrd.img -> initrd.img-2.6.11
    Added Linux *

    Boot image: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.11
    Mapping RAM disk /boot/initrd.img-2.6.11
    Added Linux(2.6)-1

    Writing boot sector.
    /boot/boot.0300 exists - no boot sector backup copy made.
    root@Athlon:/etc#


    Does this give any hints?

    AugustQ

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    So what does dmesg say now? The post in thread #17348 should work for the rest of the setup.

    The error from running lilo doesn't seem to affect it getting updated as it added the kernels. Do you have something like this in lilo.conf:
    disk=/dev/hde
    bios=0x81
    If yes, comment out with a # to:
    #disk=/dev/hde
    #bios=0x81
    If no, post lilo.conf

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    15
    Hello Markus,

    the problem is solved!javascript:emoticon('')

    Today I first checked the access to the CD-drive before I looked into lilo.conf and voila: it works.
    Don't know why it didn't work on wednesday (maybe I forgot to reboot after I made the last changes).

    Thanks for your help!

    AugustQ

    PS: lilo.conf contains the lines you mentioned but they are already converted in a comment.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    You're welcome, and if everything works now I wouldn't worry about the device mapper lilo complained about.

Similar Threads

  1. Brand new disk, '/dev/hda is not a valid block device'
    By rollo11 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-26-2006, 09:06 PM
  2. noob help with block device
    By Brokoro in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-21-2006, 02:18 AM
  3. fd0 not a valid block device!!
    By smeadows in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-23-2004, 03:15 AM
  4. Card Reader, not a valid block device?
    By ozlad in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-02-2004, 04:53 AM
  5. Cant use CD rom device "not a valid block device"
    By YuXeL in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-08-2003, 01:48 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS picture

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS

$179.98



Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor   picture

Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor

$50.00



Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS picture

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS

$239.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS picture

Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS

$127.54



Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS picture

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS

$84.49



Intel Xeon E5-2680 V2 2.8GHz 10-Core 25MB 8GT/s SR1A6 LGA2011 B Grade Server CPU picture

Intel Xeon E5-2680 V2 2.8GHz 10-Core 25MB 8GT/s SR1A6 LGA2011 B Grade Server CPU

$7.95



Intel Xeon E5-2690 v4 SR2N2 14 Core 2.6GHz 35MB LGA2011-3 CPU *km picture

Intel Xeon E5-2690 v4 SR2N2 14 Core 2.6GHz 35MB LGA2011-3 CPU *km

$15.99



For Parts - Lenovo ThinkServer TS460 Part Number: 70TT-0020UX picture

For Parts - Lenovo ThinkServer TS460 Part Number: 70TT-0020UX

$149.99



Dell Precision T1700 Workstation Intel Xeon 16G Ram 256GG SSD Nvidia 600  Win 10 picture

Dell Precision T1700 Workstation Intel Xeon 16G Ram 256GG SSD Nvidia 600 Win 10

$109.99