Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: usbdnet kernel module

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    55

    usbdnet kernel module

    I recently purchased a Sharp Zaurus SL-5500 and would like to get it communicating with my HD-installed knoppix. In order to do this, I either need to buy a CF ethernet card for it, or, preferrably, install the usbdnet module on my knoppix PC. I tried doing it myself... downloaded the 2.4.20 kernel source, downloaded the usbdnet module patch, compiled everything according to the directions, and resulted in a kernel panic.

    I have Win98 communicating with the Zaurus, so I don't really have an urgent need. However, the less I have to use Win98, the better off I am. If, at the next iteration of Knoppix, some kind soul could include the usbdnet module (as a loadable module), I'd be extremely appreciative. Or, if some kind soul with remastering skills wants to provide an ISO of Version 3.2-2003-04-15 with the usbdnet modules included, that'd be even cooler.

    Thanks,

    BamaRob

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    55

    usbdnet

    Does anyone else have this need, or am I on my own?

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    you didn't give detail of what caused the kernel panic so not much others can offer to help. A HD installed KNOPPIX is just a plain linux(debian based) and recompiling a new kernel should be relatively safe so long you know how to install it including lilo/grub etc.

    I have already tried a number of different kernel build myself(one is to fix a USB device issue) and didn't encounter any problem and I am not even using a HD installed version which makes it more tricky.

    The only impression I got from KNOPPIX as a developing environment is that it is not suitable as it use a lot of cutting edge stuffs including libc6 and gcc which results in something not very compatible with debian woody(this may not be your cause of panic). I ended up have a seperate chrooted woody environment for building applications which is pretty stable so far.

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    55
    Thanks for the reply, garyng.

    I've recompiled kernels before without problems. I have not successfully recompiled a kernel under Knoppix (though I've only tried once). I was attempting to take the lazy way out in hoping that someone else may have had the same need (usbdnet) and already had a kernel with the modules included. When I get some time, I may give it another go.

    I'm awefully tempted to purchase a wireless network CF card for my Zaurus. I don't currently have a wireless network set up at home, but have been considering it for some time. If I can get wireless networking functional between my desktop Knoppix box and my Zaurus, I wouldn't need usbdnet.

    Thanks again for the reply. I was beginning to wonder if anyone had even read my request.

    BR

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    5
    Hi,

    if you have the kernel source patched with the usbdnet patch , it's quite easy.
    If you don't, just do:

    Code:
    1) Patch the linux kernel
    The patch has been tested against kernel 2.4.17 and up.
    I've received patches for some specific kernel version shipped with common distributions, see in the download area listed below if there is one for yours !
    Download the patch corresponding to your kernel version from here
    
    Assuming your Linux sources are in /usr/src/linux do the following :
    cp usbdnet-2.4.x.patch.gz /usr/src
    cd /usr/src
    zcat usbdnet-2.4.x.patch.gz | patch -p0
    
    Now reconfigure the kernel to support :
    cd /usr/src/linux
    make menuconfig
    in "Code maturity level options", select "Prompt for development and/or incomplete code/drivers"
    in "USB support", section "USB Network adaptors", select (as a module) "USBD Network (Encapsulated) Host-to-Host Link (EXPERIMENTAL)"
    Then enter 04dd in USBD Network idVendor and 8004 in USBD Network idProduct
    This comes from http://www.ruault.com/Zaurus/etherne...usb-howto.html

    Now do
    Code:
    cd /usr/src/linux
    make clean dep modules
    cp drivers/usb/usbdnet.o /lib/modules/2.4.x/kernel/drivers/usb/
    depmod -a
    It's enough to copy the module, it don't have to be istalled.
    Add the following lines to /etc/network/interfaces
    Code:
    iface usb0 inet static
        address 192.168.129.XYZ   # XYZ = IP-Adress of your usb network interface
        pointopoint 192.168.129.201
        netmask 255.255.255.255

    The next step is to conncet the Zaurus, have a look at /var/log/messages.
    Code:
    insmod usbdnet
    ifup usb0
    Insmod will show an error message, ignore it.


    That's all, i did so yesterday and everything worked fine

    Roland

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    55
    Thanks roli.

    So, if I understand correctly, you didn't replace the kernel at all. You just compiled the usbdnet module against your existing kernel and copied it to the appropriate place.

    I'll give that a try when I get a few minutes.

    Thanks,

    BR

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    5
    Hi BR,

    that's what i want to discribe, just compile the modules, not the Kernel that's enought.

    Good Luck

    Roli

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix 3.4 with kernel 2.6.5 doesn't have lvm module?
    By littleKoala in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-29-2004, 11:56 AM
  2. 2.6 kernel woes, module problems?
    By wex in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-16-2004, 01:51 AM
  3. Load Cisco VPN client kernel module?
    By probono in forum Networking
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-20-2003, 02:16 PM
  4. How to add a modem module to kernel ?
    By MrAhmad in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-06-2003, 11:45 AM
  5. LUFS network filesystems kernel module
    By bhsx in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-06-2003, 01:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


1x64GB Hynix HMAA8GL7MMR4N DDR4 PC4 2133P-LE0-11 4Rx4 ECC LRDIMM Server RAM picture

1x64GB Hynix HMAA8GL7MMR4N DDR4 PC4 2133P-LE0-11 4Rx4 ECC LRDIMM Server RAM

$320.00



24x Micron MT40A512M16LY-062E IT:E 8Gb DDR4-3200 96-FBGA Memory IC picture

24x Micron MT40A512M16LY-062E IT:E 8Gb DDR4-3200 96-FBGA Memory IC

$349.99



24x Micron MT40A512M16LY-062E IT:E 8Gb DDR4-3200 96-FBGA Memory IC picture

24x Micron MT40A512M16LY-062E IT:E 8Gb DDR4-3200 96-FBGA Memory IC

$349.99



Micron 8GB DDR4 3200MHz PC4-3200AA ECC RDIMM RAM (MTA9ASF1G72PZ-3G2E2 picture

Micron 8GB DDR4 3200MHz PC4-3200AA ECC RDIMM RAM (MTA9ASF1G72PZ-3G2E2

$30.00



Nanya NT32GA72D4NFX3K-JR 32GB 2Rx4 PC4-3200AA K25 DDR4 RDIMM RAM Server Memory picture

Nanya NT32GA72D4NFX3K-JR 32GB 2Rx4 PC4-3200AA K25 DDR4 RDIMM RAM Server Memory

$199.99



SK Hynix 32GB(1x32GB) 2RX4 PC4-2666V-R DDR4 ECC Memory RDIMM HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK picture

SK Hynix 32GB(1x32GB) 2RX4 PC4-2666V-R DDR4 ECC Memory RDIMM HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK

$200.00



Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11 picture

Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11

$62.55



Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G) picture

Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G)

$89.99