-
Knoppix 3.8 doesn't support dial-up Modems anymore!?
Knoppix 3.8 doesn't support my USR 56k Internal PCI Fax/Modem model 5610b ... this is a Linux compatible (NOT a WinModem) that previous Knoppix versions DID support (and by that I mean, previous versions of Knoppix were capable of logging onto my server with this same modem).
Apparently Knoppix no longer supports dial-up modems? When I try to install it on all the desktop software (i.e. KPPP), it's not an option in the types of modems -- seems all the WiFi and infrared and PCMCIA modems are supported ... but no option to select a dial-up.
How can I retrieve the modem driver(s) from a previous version of Knoppix and install it into this version (i.e. in expert mode if I have the driver on FDD). I don't know the name of the modem driver or where I might find it.
OR I have found the modem driver on the USR website but it is for the RedHat distribution ... how & where do I install that if it will even work?
OR am I doing something wrong?
While I admit to being a Linux dummie, I have CP/M, years of DRDOS, MSDos 2.0 to 3.11 & Win95 to W2K experience (I'm even one of those who used to prefer WordStar -- I could get it to do about anything except make the coffee) -- so I am trainable
But I'm weak on working and maneuvering at the boot prompt in Linux/Knoppix and I don't know diddly about integrating RPM files into a Linux distribution.
Eventually, I want to install Knoppix to my HDD and boot from the HDD as my main OS ... maybe on a dual boot system -- or networking it to a Winblows computer.
lspci -v output yields:
0000:01:0a.0 Serial Controller: 5610 56k FaxModem 56K FaxModem
Model 5610(rev01) (prog-if 00[VGA])
Flags: Medium devsel, IRQ11
I/O Ports @ 9400 [size=8]
Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 2
lspci -b output yields:
0000:01:0a.0 Serial Controller:
5610 56k FaxModem 56K
FaxModem Model 5610(rev01)
Thanks for your patience and any advice you can offer,
Lagniappe
Similar Threads
-
By s-m-n in forum Networking
Replies: 9
Last Post: 12-10-2005, 10:27 PM
-
By petrotraficante in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 12-30-2004, 11:13 PM
-
By bulio in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 07-06-2004, 01:50 AM
-
By knopbill in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 8
Last Post: 05-29-2003, 01:03 AM
-
By CWGCWG in forum General Support
Replies: 5
Last Post: 01-29-2003, 03:26 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor
$114.99

Intel Core i7-8700 3.2 GHz 8 GT/s LGA 1151 Desktop CPU Processor SR3QS
$67.99

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH
$179.99

Intel Core i5-4590T 2 GHz 5 GT/s LGA 1150 Desktop CPU Processor SR1S6
$10.99

Intel SR3XE Core i5-8500 3.0GHz 9M Socket 1151 6-Core CPU Processor *Tested*
$32.99

Intel Core i7-7700K SR33A 4.20GHz 4-Core LGA1151 CPU Processor
$62.95

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor
$39.00

Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 SR153 3.3GHz Quad Core LGA 1150 CPU Processor
$14.49

LAST BATCH *Brand New-Sealed* AMD Ryzen 9 9950X3D2 Dual Ed. 4.3GHz 16Core AM5
$768.00

AMD - Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core - 16-Thread 3.4 GHz (4.5 GHz Max Boost) w/ Ice Pad
$355.99