-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
Simpkin
Thanks for the advice although I tried burning at 4 x speed on 2 different burners using a variety of disks. Still nothing is happening just although this time round a bios screen is displaying "inbootable device" thanks anyway I will download a full version of linux and install it on the hdd.
At work we are having similar issues but more extreme with a Dell Latitude L400 and an external CD-ROM drive. Knoppix won't boot, nor will some Windows CDs. However, if we go into the BIOS, select "restore factory defaults", make the CD-ROM the first boot device, and then reboot, everything works ... for a little while, sometimes. Our suspicions are that this is a hardware problem: the BIOS version, the CMOS battery, the mobo, the CD-ROM, the CD-ROM cable, or something we haven't thought of.
In short, your problem sounds similar to ours, which means that I suspect faulty hardware.
BTW, you did burn the ISO as an image and not as a file, correct? See: http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Download...o_be_burned.3F
Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org/
-
Junior Member
registered user
I'll just point out here that every single time I've run into a system that won't boot from a CD-ROM drive, it's because the CD-ROM has to be a master on one of the IDE channels. It can be a master on the secondary channel, that's fine, but with many systems, running a CD-ROM drive as a slave is the kiss of death for CD booting.
As for booting from a floppy, one approach I've used in the past is to boot a (MS|Free)DOS disk with CD-ROM drivers on it and use a copy of loadlin to boot Knoppix. The only catch is that you have to type all the boot parameters and cheat codes by hand, including the ones you don't usually see (they're in /KNOPPIX/boot/isolinux.cfg on the CD), and sometimes that exceeds the DOS command-line length limitation. But it'll do in a pinch, like when I need to boot Knoppix on my old P166 laptop that's incapable of booting from CD.
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
pestie
As for booting from a floppy, one approach I've used in the past is to boot a (MS|Free)DOS disk with CD-ROM drivers on it and use a copy of
loadlin to boot Knoppix.
That sounds cool. Care to write this up as a HOW-TO and post it?
Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org/
-
Junior Member
registered user
I guess I should, huh? This is at least the second time I've answered this question here, and I hardly ever come to this forum. Maybe sometime soon I'll throw together specific instructions in the form of a HOWTO.
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
pestie
Maybe sometime soon I'll throw together specific instructions in the form of a HOWTO.
It doesn't even need to be polished. Just a quick-and-dirty list of things would be great to start with. Details can be filled in later.
Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org/
Similar Threads
-
By pau1knopp in forum General Support
Replies: 42
Last Post: 03-08-2005, 09:26 AM
-
By Mustang64 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 06-23-2004, 04:53 AM
-
By keava in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 10-20-2003, 05:24 PM
-
By outlaw in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 06-04-2003, 10:37 PM
-
By Guest in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 11-23-2002, 08:07 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

NEW Cisco Meraki MS130-48P-HW 48-Port Gigabit PoE+ Cloud Manage Switch UNCLAIMED
$2999.99

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99

Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New
$101.99

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module
$699.99

Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch
$439.00

Cisco C9300-48UXM-A Switch 9300 Series 48-port UPoE Network
$874.99

New Sealed Cisco GLC-LH-SMD 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP Transceiver Module *US
$17.00

Cisco C3850-NM-2-10G Catalyst 3850 2 x 10GE Network Module
$30.00

Cisco Catalyst C9120AXI-B Wi-Fi 6 Access Points
$30.00

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*
$24.00