-
Boot disk saga
Thanks for the pointers. This information may help me solve this problem.
Although I have not done some of the test myself, an IT person did some for me. The college where I teach is licensed to issue Windows XP Pro CDs to its faculty members. That's how I upgraded my Windows XP Home to Pro (at that point, my computer read boot CDs). But when SP2 messed up my ports, I decided to reinstall Windows XP Pro+SP2 (new disk) from scratch. It was at that point that the boot problem started.
I took my laptop to my office and an IT technician tested the CDs ruined by my computer on my office computer (to which I do not have administrative access). The disks were in fact coasters. He then burned a third XP Pro CD and tested it in one of his computers, which proved the CD worked. I have not iserted that CD in my computer just in case, and I am not sure at what speed he burns CDs.
Now, he claims the third XP Pro CD he burned worked fine, and I took his claims in good faith (but with a pinch of skepticism, I must admit).
So in a way the boot CDs that don't run in my computer run well on a different computer, but I don't have first-hand experience of that.
I do not understand what the CD drive does to a CD that has been written on and closed. In theory, a closed CD is no longer R but only ROM. If I can't solve this problem, I'll have to take my computer to a service center, but that'll be the last resort.
As it is, I'm looking forward to running Linux, and the chance to run it from a CD sounds fantastic. I'm going to try the boot floppy-to-CD route first. Since I still have the Knoppix files I downloaded, I can burn as many CDs as I need till I get this to run.
Thanks for your help.
Similar Threads
-
By pau1knopp in forum General Support
Replies: 42
Last Post: 03-08-2005, 09:26 AM
-
By Mustang64 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 06-23-2004, 04:53 AM
-
By keava in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 10-20-2003, 05:24 PM
-
By outlaw in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 06-04-2003, 10:37 PM
-
By Guest in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 11-23-2002, 08:07 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD
$1299.99

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM
$179.99

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series
$375.00

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620
$199.99

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES
$108.92

IBM Power S824 12Bay 4U Server - 2x Power8 CPU, 512GB DDR4, MT: 8286-42A
$1731.00

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU
$999.99

Compaq ProLiant 1500R 5/100 rack server, Series 3155, with IBM 2.1GB HD, VINTAGE
$295.00

Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs
$49.99

IBM 7014-T00 Enterprise 19" Rack Enclosure No Keys
$549.95