Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Knoppix Hacks from O'Reilly won't boot

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2

    Knoppix Hacks from O'Reilly won't boot

    I purchased the book Knoppix Hacks awhile ago, and the free CD boots fine on my kids computer, but not on mine.

    Whenever I try to boot it on mine I get this:

    'You passed an undefined mode number'
    'Return' for video modes 'space' to continue
    So I hit 'space' to continue and it checks my hard drive, then says:

    Looking for CDROM in /dev/scd0
    Pauses for a bit...then...

    Can't find Knoppix filesystem
    Dropping you to a (very limited) shell

    commands available:
    cat mount umount
    insmod rmmod lsmod
    knoppix#
    And that folks, is as far as it goes.

    As a newbie to Linux, I'm a little more than tentative about messing around with a CLI. The same Knoppix CD works fine in my kids computer, I'm able to surf the net, etc. However, I'd like to be able to boot the CD on my own system.

    Any ideas, hints, or suggestions to help point me in the right direction? (I'm guessing it's either something to do with the way Dell has set the boot security, or my CDROM is not connected properly. In the BIOS, the CDROM shows as primary slave 0 CD-ROM Reader, but in the boot sequence it shows as IDE CD-ROM.)

    Thanks.

    [edit to add: running WinXP Dell Optiplex GX110 with 1 Ghz processor, 256megs RAM. Kids system is a WinXP clone, Athelon 1.7Ghz, 512megs RAM]

    RayG

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    try booting with the boot cheat codes:
    knoppix nodma

    I have used Knoppix 3.3 to 3.8.1 of Dell optiplex gl133, gxa, gx1, 110, 150, 160. Using cheat codes is the key.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by UnderScore
    try booting with the boot cheat codes:
    knoppix nodma

    I have used Knoppix 3.3 to 3.8.1 of Dell optiplex gl133, gxa, gx1, 110, 150, 160. Using cheat codes is the key.
    That did the trick. I'm posting this after booting with the Knoppix CD on my own system. I'm using Konqueror though, as Mozilla caused my screen to trash.

    Thank you, thank you, thank you, I'm now a happy camper.

    RayG

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 44
    Last Post: 01-17-2008, 05:38 PM
  2. Knoppix Hacks Book problem
    By empress101 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-10-2006, 12:07 AM
  3. Knoppix hacks book
    By metavoid in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-29-2004, 04:45 PM
  4. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-14-2004, 04:08 PM
  5. Reproducing the O'Reilly instructions?
    By znmeb in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-27-2003, 10:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD

$119.99



Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR picture

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR

$140.00



Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB picture

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB

$149.99



Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays picture

Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays

$799.99



Cisco B200 M3 2x E5-2670V2 10 Core 8x 16GB-128GB Ram Blade Server VIC1240 14900R picture

Cisco B200 M3 2x E5-2670V2 10 Core 8x 16GB-128GB Ram Blade Server VIC1240 14900R

$399.00



NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER picture

NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER

$1499.97



HP ProLiant BL460c Gen8 Blade Chassis w/2x Xeon E5-2630L 2.0GHz, 32GB RAM, No H picture

HP ProLiant BL460c Gen8 Blade Chassis w/2x Xeon E5-2630L 2.0GHz, 32GB RAM, No H

$144.99



Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working picture

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working

$149.99



Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 256GB DDR3 RAM NO HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 256GB DDR3 RAM NO HDD

$349.99