Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: BIOS problem

  1. #1

    BIOS problem

    Ok, I'm running a DELL Dimention 8300, and i can't seem to get Knoppix to boot from a cd. I pressed F2 at startup and change the Boot sequence to IDE CD Drive to be first to boot. I put the CD in, restart and it doesnt boot knoppix, what am I doing wrong?

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: BIOS problem

    Quote Originally Posted by twiistedkaos
    Ok, I'm running a DELL Dimention 8300, and i can't seem to get Knoppix to boot from a cd. I pressed F2 at startup and change the Boot sequence to IDE CD Drive to be first to boot. I put the CD in, restart and it doesnt boot knoppix, what am I doing wrong?
    How did you burn the iso file (are you sure you burnt it properly as an image)? Did you burn it at a slow speed (like 4x)? If you downloaded the ISO from a mirror rather than from Bittorrent, did you check the md5 sum of the downloaded file befor burning?

  3. #3
    I seemed to have burned the .iso wrongly. I got it to work now, thanks anyways. Can you help me with somethign else? I don't want Knoppix to be livecd, I want to put it on my harddrive, how would I go about doing so? And If i do, Will I be pompted at startup if I want to choose between Knoppix or Windows XP? Because that's how I'd like it, so I cna still get on Windows XP.

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by twiistedkaos
    I seemed to have burned the .iso wrongly. I got it to work now, thanks anyways. Can you help me with somethign else? I don't want Knoppix to be livecd, I want to put it on my harddrive, how would I go about doing so? And If i do, Will I be pompted at startup if I want to choose between Knoppix or Windows XP? Because that's how I'd like it, so I cna still get on Windows XP.
    There's a whole forum for that (and a FAQ in the documentation section). Read the forum and faq. Personally, I don't believe in it, too many people have too many problems after an install. Installing Debian takes a little more work, but you learn in the process, get exactly what you want, and have a much more stable system. Oh, also in your reading pay attention to the problems that seem to have crept into the 3.8.x install procedures. Good luck.

Similar Threads

  1. BIOS Bug IO-APIC#0
    By cybergod47 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-18-2006, 07:07 PM
  2. boot problem - my BIOS?
    By iwasnthere in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-11-2005, 04:34 PM
  3. BIOS pwd
    By xtoor in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-20-2004, 04:00 AM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-25-2004, 04:50 PM
  5. Knoppix on a BIOS
    By Buttersoft in forum Ideas
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-14-2003, 04:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5

2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5"/2.5'' SATA HDD/SSD 10Gbps USB-C 3.2

$75.99



Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003 picture

Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003

$639.69



Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD picture

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD

$265.00



OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2  for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs

$87.99



WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure picture

WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure

$119.99



Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV picture

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV

$18.95



Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5

Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5" SATA Drives External Array

$55.00



Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller picture

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller

$64.99



Adaptec ASR-71605 16-Port 1Gbps PCIe RAID Card High Profile picture

Adaptec ASR-71605 16-Port 1Gbps PCIe RAID Card High Profile

$18.49



CalDigit VR minin 2 Portable Raid Storage On The Go picture

CalDigit VR minin 2 Portable Raid Storage On The Go

$75.00