Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: created fat 32 partition: unable to write to it in Knoppix

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Wappingers Falls, NY
    Posts
    2

    created fat 32 partition: unable to write to it in Knoppix

    I thought for sure that this would solve the problem of not being able to write to ntfs partitions since my main system is windows xp. However no matter what I do, I am unable to write to a one gigabyte fat 32 partition that I created specifically to save data while in Knoppix. I tried saving it using K and also using commands e.g. cp/home/knoppix/test.txt /mnt/hdc7
    I keep getting the same errors that I got before I created this fat 32 file system. I made sure that I was root and also that all the file permissions were set to read write for owner,group, and user so I cannot understand why I am getting these very same error messages. some say that the file system is read only, which is not true. Others say the file that I am saving does not exist. I checked the forum over and maybe I am missing something, but I was not able to find help for this particular problem. The basic fix is to create a fat partition which is what I did.

    I am new to Knoppix and really like the idea of it, but it is very limited if I cannot write to any partition at all while in Knoppix.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated. Someone else must have had this very same problem.

    Thanks so much

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: created fat 32 partition: unable to write to it in Knopp

    Quote Originally Posted by bighero
    I thought for sure that this would solve the problem of not being able to write to ntfs partitions since my main system is windows xp. However no matter what I do, I am unable to write to a one gigabyte fat 32 partition that I created specifically to save data while in Knoppix....
    I'm not quite sure why you're having problems. I got a notebook that came with the Microsoft tax and XP. Almost the first thing I did was resize the NTFS partition so that I would have some space in a FAT partition (about half the hard drive, although if I was smarter it would have been less). Writing to it with Knoppix has worked fine for me.

    Do you realise that, even for FAT partitions, Knoppix defaults mounting of the partition to read-only? You can write to the FAT partition, but you have to explicitly make it writeable? This can be done with he mount command (see man mount from a shell) or from the desktop icon for that pratition (right click on the partition icon and use the actions .... submenu).

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Wappingers Falls, NY
    Posts
    2

    unable to write to fat 32 partition-enabling Lan

    I have to plead ignorance. I finally realized the problem. I was using K to change the file permissions to read write, but neglected to click the tab" device". When I did, I noticed the check box checked that said read only so I just unchecked it and now all is well. i am ashamed to mention this since it is so obvious, but I totally missed it. I am sure that I could have also done this with a command.

    My next ambition is to get the lan to work. K has a few programs but they ask for the root password which as I understand there is none in Knoppix. Any advice on this would be helpful and greatly appreciated.

Similar Threads

  1. Unable to write on FAT32 partition as regular user
    By finferflu in forum General Support
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-17-2006, 04:32 PM
  2. About the partition created by QTPARTED
    By quit5 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-17-2005, 03:23 PM
  3. is it safe to write to a FAT32 partition from knoppix?
    By someuser77 in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-13-2005, 08:01 PM
  4. How do I write to linux partition from Knoppix live
    By rrfish72 in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-22-2004, 02:02 AM
  5. Unable to access windows partition as user 'knoppix'
    By area in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-30-2003, 07:21 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



ASUS B85M-G/B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI for Inter 4thCPU picture

ASUS B85M-G/B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI for Inter 4thCPU

$45.00



ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield

$84.99



⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠ picture

⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠

$29.90



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P picture

MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P

$101.99



ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI  ATX RGB picture

ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI ATX RGB

$69.99



MSI B460M-A Pro DDR4 LGA 1200 Micro ATX Motherboard 10th Gen picture

MSI B460M-A Pro DDR4 LGA 1200 Micro ATX Motherboard 10th Gen

$59.99



GIGABYTE X570 UD AM4 motherboard +AMD Ryzen 9 3900x CPU+Cooler picture

GIGABYTE X570 UD AM4 motherboard +AMD Ryzen 9 3900x CPU+Cooler

$250.00