Quote Originally Posted by 149047
the reason i am here is because i depserately try to speed up my 2d renderings (called: APOPHYSIS ->win32 software). so i heard that i should give knoppix a try.....
I haven't used the software so I can't comment on how fast or slow it is. But 2d rendering really shouldn't be impacted much by any OS if it's written properly. A quick Google search turned up that the sources are available, but that version 2 of the code is based on Delphi. To my knowledge there is no free Delphi or Delphi-like code for Linux (I believe there is a commercial program), so getting it working under Linux would likely involve an extensive rewrite. Perhaps the program would benefit from a rewrite anyway, Delphi is far from the language of choice for rendering applications, but it's not going to be a simple case of just running the existing code under Linux and seeing a big speed improvement.

What is it that you are rendering that you feel the need is worth the effort for speeding up these 2D renderings? And how long does a typical Apophysis rendering take?