Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: I've broken apt-get -f install? (fixed)

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Cairns, Australia
    Posts
    23

    I've broken apt-get -f install? (fixed)

    Hiya. Only 2 months new to Knoppix and rather unconfident in general but I'm slowly learning. It all started when I was trying to install mplayer so I can watch streaming wmv stuff. A guy on another board said I need mplayer and alsa so I set about getting them but it didn't work. I tried using apt-get and by manually downloading .deb files and all sorts of stuff which I probably should have learnt up on a bit before attempting Now when I run "apt-get -f install" (which has helped me in the past) I get:

    Code:
    # apt-get -f install
    Reading Package Lists... Done
    Building Dependency Tree... Done
    Correcting dependencies... Done
    The following extra packages will be installed:
      alsa-utils
    
    Suggested packages:
      alsadriver
    The following NEW packages will be installed:
      alsa-utils
    0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 665 not upgraded.
    1 not fully installed or removed.
    Need to get 0B/146kB of archives.
    After unpacking 422kB of additional disk space will be used.
    Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
    (Reading database ... 115568 files and directories currently installed.)
    Unpacking alsa-utils (from .../alsa-utils_1.0.8-4_i386.deb) ...
    dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/alsa-utils_1.0.8-4_i386.deb (--unpack):
     trying to overwrite `/usr/bin/alsamixer', which is also in package knx-alsa
    dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
    Errors were encountered while processing:
     /var/cache/apt/archives/alsa-utils_1.0.8-4_i386.deb
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
    Basically I am not interested enough to keep trying to install mplayer or any alsa stuff which isn't needed, I can live without it and the general learning curve of Linux is such that I'd rather concentrate on more important issues but I'd suspect the above is not exactly a desirable way to have my system. By all means if you can suggest things to try out, please do, but I'm also wondering what the general course of action that I'm supposed to take is? Should I be trying to uninstall knx-alsa or am I completely off-track? And that Broken Pipe thing doesn't sound too promising. If you suggest any codes, it would be fantastic if you could tell me what they're actually doing, but I'm not fussy. Oh well, thanks for any help.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    I haven't used apt-get with knoppix in a while but the usual way to fix these things is:
    sudo dpkg -i --force-all /var/cache/apt/archives/alsa-utils_1.0.8-4_i386.deb
    and after that:
    sudo dpkg --configure -a

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Cairns, Australia
    Posts
    23
    Markus, I wish I could thank you enough - It worked perfectly. Can't believe it was so simple. I hope you have a fantastic day, oh what the heck, I hope you have a fantastic year!

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    You're welcome.
    If you want to take a look at options for dpkg type: man dpkg
    type q to quit.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    scotland
    Posts
    2
    thank yooooooooooooooooooo, helped me out too

Similar Threads

  1. hp v2000 laptop and ?broken? knoppix 6.0.1 install
    By roy bowman in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-16-2009, 09:27 PM
  2. A (kind of) workaround for broken HD install in 6.0.1
    By Capricorny in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-12-2009, 12:24 PM
  3. poor mans install won't boot (fromhd broken?)
    By SalsaDoom in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-27-2004, 06:14 PM
  4. FIXED, thanks!
    By brinstar117 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-01-2004, 01:46 AM
  5. apt-get/dpkg broken, will not install programs, dead-locked
    By lavaman094 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-13-2003, 12:19 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



24x Micron MT40A512M16LY-062E IT:E 8Gb DDR4-3200 96-FBGA Memory IC picture

24x Micron MT40A512M16LY-062E IT:E 8Gb DDR4-3200 96-FBGA Memory IC

$349.99



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$202.50



Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11 picture

Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11

$62.55



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot picture

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot

$3.75



Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM  M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q picture

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q

$169.00



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED picture

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED

$445.00



Lot of 4 8GB DDR4 PC4-2400T ECC Registered Server RAM 32GB 1Rx8 RDIMM MICRON picture

Lot of 4 8GB DDR4 PC4-2400T ECC Registered Server RAM 32GB 1Rx8 RDIMM MICRON

$149.99