Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: How can I set a root password????

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    8

    How can I set a root password????

    Hey I'm currently working on a remasterd knoppix cd.

    All is going well but I cant set a root password if I do set passwd then it does nothing.

    Can sombody help me.?????
    [/b]

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    89
    When you're in the chroot environment, just type "passwd" and follow the instructions.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    8

    does not work

    this does not work?????

    when I remaster I still don't have to give a password

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    89
    Hmm, I did it just the other day to set a root password for the parallelknoppix remaster. Can you describe what you're doing in more detail. I'm talking about remastering after having copied the source to HD, and doing a chroot from my normal Debian installation. I'm not familiar with the other methods.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    8
    I found a sollution. I just disable su and sudo. with a startup script so the users of my kiosk can no tgo in te root

    but thanks for the effort mcreel

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2
    I have the same problem:

    Whatever I do, I dont need a password to be root; I only need to type "su".

    I tried:

    chmod 0 su

    but it blocks at start

    or

    I tried to disable knoppix in /etc/sudoers

    but then some applications doesn't work because they need root.

    I found a half-solution:

    I modified /etc/profile. Icommented this line (the last one in the file):
    #alias su="sudo su"

    Now if I type "su", I need a password.

    But if I type "sudo su", I don't need it anymore.

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    23
    >> I tried to disable knoppix in /etc/sudoers

    use that file to define what you want "knoppix" to have access to . (man sudo )

Similar Threads

  1. Root Password??????
    By DRYICE in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-18-2006, 02:06 AM
  2. root password
    By swen in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-26-2005, 03:18 AM
  3. What is the Root password in 3.4?
    By kidsatacrux in forum General Support
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-21-2004, 12:48 AM
  4. Root password?
    By CyberShadow in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-05-2004, 06:49 AM
  5. Root Password
    By VBgod in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-13-2003, 10:09 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch

$46.99



NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$49.99



TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed picture

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed

$199.99



5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S... picture

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...

$9.64



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern picture

TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern

$15.25



Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts picture

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts

$69.00



NETGEAR 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (Gs305) - Desktop Quiet Fanless picture

NETGEAR 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (Gs305) - Desktop Quiet Fanless

$25.99



Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks picture

Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks

$224.95