Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Where is the "Knoppix Live Installer" in Kno 3.8.2

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    53

    Where is the "Knoppix Live Installer" in Kno 3.8.2

    Hi everyone:

    I hope I'm posting this question in the right forum. Apologize if I didn't.

    I'm a normal Windows user trying Linux with Knoppix so, I'm still a n00b.

    I have "Knoppix Hacks" book of O'Reilly Series and I was reading Hack #27 "Use the Knoppix Live Installer" (Pg 86 1st Ed) and I couldn't find this script in any of the Desktop's Menu of Knoppix 3.8.2

    I went to my old kno 3.7 and ineed it was there. I really liked that script. I used it to download the Flash plug-in and it was a lot easier than downloading and installing the plug thro a terminal.

    I'd like to use this script in kno 3.8 so I can use f-prot, gkrellm, etc. Where can I find it or how can I export it from 3.7 to 3.8?

    Latino

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    The Live Installer script was a hack to allow you to "install" programs to the running Knoppix system. It was a workaround or a make-do because normally you can't install new programs on a read-only CDR LiveCD. This has all changed in Knoppix 3.8.x because of UnionFS. The Knoppix developers included UnionFS and have overlayed (via UnionFS) a portion of the ramdisk on top of the root / of the Knoppix CD, thus we now have "write access" what was once a read-only CDR. Search the forums for unionfs to learn more about unionfs in knoppix and/or use google to read up on unionfs.

    The Live installer script is no longer included because it is no longer necessary to use a work around. Assuming that the network & internet access is properly configured, to install gkrellm (or any available Debian package) on Knoppix 3.8.x, you need to update the system's package lists & then install the package:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install gkrellm

    I hope this helps.
    James

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    53
    Thanks for show me the path. I'll do it tommorrow

    I'm going to play Halo 2 right now

    Latino

Similar Threads

  1. Failed "knoppix lang=us" on boot for live cd
    By linus in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-24-2008, 06:08 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-12-2007, 07:48 AM
  3. can't partition/install with "knoppix-installer"
    By king_crimson in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-30-2006, 08:25 PM
  4. Knoppix "Live CD" is not working.
    By Linux Tourist in forum General Support
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-25-2004, 05:28 AM
  5. Locate Knoppix "group" in "K" menu
    By Juny in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-14-2003, 09:02 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch

$46.99



NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$49.99



TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed picture

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed

$199.99



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597 picture

TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597

$36.98



Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts picture

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts

$69.00



TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern picture

TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern

$15.25



Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks picture

Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks

$224.95



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99