-
A bit hairy
Ok, NTFS read/write questions are probably getting old here, but this one is a bit different.
In short, I have no access to XP (hda1), which is in NTFS. It's startup files are corrupt beyond repair, and I'm attempting to access it using Knoppix 3.8 and copy over the files from there onto my external USB HD. I havn't had any luck so far dealing with read/write permissions, but there has to be something I'm missing.
And if there isn't, what other solutions are there? Would formatting my USB HD in FAT32 help at all? Are there easier ways of transporting 15+ gigs of data than through Knoppix/USB HD? I can't change the file system on XP, but there has to be other ways.
And I still don't have a definative answer whether Knoppix 3.8 can write fully on NTFS or whether it can only replace equal amounts of info.
Any and all answers are appreciated.
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Re: A bit hairy

Originally Posted by
Dre
Ok, NTFS read/write questions are probably getting old here, but this one is a bit different.
No, pretty much the same.

Originally Posted by
Dre
In short, I have no access to XP (hda1), which is in NTFS. It's startup files are corrupt beyond repair, and I'm attempting to access it using Knoppix 3.8 and copy over the files from there onto my external USB HD. I havn't had any luck so far dealing with read/write permissions, but there has to be something I'm missing.
And if there isn't, what other solutions are there? Would formatting my USB HD in FAT32 help at all?
So you're saying that the external drive is not FAT now, but NTFS? And you don't see a problem there, being that Knoppix can't safely write to any NTFS partition?
Formatting in FAT might help, but, particularly with the recent 3.8.x releases a growing number of people are having problems seeing their USB drives under Knoppix. Can you see the drive under Knoppix now (actually see the files on the drive)? If so then I would expect that putting a FAT partition out there would help a lot. If not then I don't have a lot of hope that reformatting with FAT will help (although I can't say for sure that it will not).

Originally Posted by
Dre
Are there easier ways of transporting 15+ gigs of data than through Knoppix/USB HD?
Sure there are. Firewire external drives are faster than USB2 drives, for example (don't be fooled by any spec that claims that USB2 is faster than firewire, it's just lying with numbers). And if you have USB1.1 then 15 gig will take, well, how old are you now? There's moving the data across a network to another computer. Either with Samba or by booting the other computer into Knoppix too, assuming it has a FAT partition. Or even other software tools like FTP that would let you transfer the files somewhere. But the "best" tool depends on what you have available to you, and having an external drive that you are willing to make a FAT partition on is better than some people have, assuming that Knoppix sees it.

Originally Posted by
Dre
And I still don't have a definative answer whether Knoppix 3.8 can write fully on NTFS or whether it can only replace equal amounts of info.
AFAIK, the answer is don't let it write to NTFS at all.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$155.00

pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN
$184.99

OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN
$258.00

Fortinet FortiGate FG-40F Network Security Firewall NO RACK EARS
$49.99

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance
$155.75

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC
$175.00

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN
$229.99

Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J
$40.00

Cisco Meraki MX67-HW Security Appliance Firewall NEW Unused Unclaimed
$202.50

NETGEAR ProSafe 8-Port Gigabit VPN Firewall FVS318G NEW IN BOX
$69.99