Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: Downloading Problems.....

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    6

    Downloading Problems.....

    Hi,

    I have been trying to download knoppix but I get the following error:

    Internet Explorer cannot download <filename> from <site>

    A system call that should never fail has failed.

    What is this and how can I download it?!?!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Have you tried a different mirror listed here:

    http://www.knoppix.net/get.php

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: Downloading Problems.....

    --WOW, dude... Way to go! You've found Yet Another Reason to switch from Wincrap to Linux!


    Try www.opera.com - faster browser, should download Knoppix no problem.

    Quote Originally Posted by mcguire303
    Hi,

    I have been trying to download knoppix but I get the following error:

    Internet Explorer cannot download <filename> from <site>

    A system call that should never fail has failed.

    What is this and how can I download it?!?!

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    6
    I have tried downloading from different mirrors....and I have also tried using Opera but no luck....

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041
    --Describe "no luck" - same error msg?

    --Have you tried re-installing Windoze lately? In extremis, you should be able to order a Knoppix CD thru the mail...

    Quote Originally Posted by mcguire303
    I have tried downloading from different mirrors....and I have also tried using Opera but no luck....

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    57

    When downloading Knoppix...

    When downloading Knoppix...you almost ALWAYS should use a download manager...not just the browser itself... I use getright.com.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    When downloading Knoppix...you almost ALWAYS should use a download manager...not just the browser itself... I use getright.com.
    I never had any problems with a browser but it would be intersting to see if it works. What can a download manager do that a browser cannot Phredd?

  8. #8
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    57

    only...

    Salve!

    The main thing it does is resume a download without starting over if you break your connection...there are dload managers for linux and windows.

    I use a download mgr when I download anything more than about 50meg or so... Plus the good ones will do multiple connections that will allow FASTER downloads.

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    oic - I suppose I am spoiled with my broadband. I forgot what a pain dial-up can be.

  10. #10
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    57

    even over broadband!

    Salve!

    I do use it over broadband...the nice thing about it over bb is that it will start MULTIPLE connections to the file you are dloading to cut download speeds significantly. Just my 2 cents.

    Long Live Knoppix!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Downloading new programs off the net?
    By biscuits91 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-22-2004, 03:59 AM
  2. Downloading Knoppix
    By kessragnell in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-25-2004, 06:59 AM
  3. Downloading Knoppixstp
    By dmedici in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-27-2004, 08:55 AM
  4. Newbie question about downloading
    By kiru9867 in forum General Support
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-15-2003, 12:48 AM
  5. Downloading version 3.2-2003-04-10
    By felipe_lopes in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-16-2003, 03:43 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Acer Aspire 14

Acer Aspire 14" AI Copilot+PC Laptop Core Ultra 5 226V Gen 4 ARC 16GB 1TB Refurb

$480.63



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$372.48



Lenovo Thinkpad T15 Gen 1 Intel i7-10610U 16GB RAM 1TB SSD - Excellent picture

Lenovo Thinkpad T15 Gen 1 Intel i7-10610U 16GB RAM 1TB SSD - Excellent

$319.99



External SSD 1TB 2TB  Portable Hard Drive USB 3.1 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.1 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$16.99



Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb

$1794.16



Apple iPad Pro 12.9

Apple iPad Pro 12.9" 5th Gen 128GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Wi-Fi Or Cellular - Good

$489.99



Acer Aspire 16 16

Acer Aspire 16 16" Laptop Core Ultra 5 226V S2 16GB RAM 1TB SSD Arc Refurbished

$547.36



1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive picture

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive

$86.95



NEW 2026 SGIN 18.5

NEW 2026 SGIN 18.5" Laptop Windows 11 PRO Intel N5095 16GB DDR4 1024GB SSD

$444.99



2026 NEW SGIN 15.6

2026 NEW SGIN 15.6" Laptop Win11 Intel i3 16GB RAM 1TB SSD Wi-Fi 6 RJ45 USB-C

$302.99