View Poll Results: anybody else frustrated?
- Voters
- 22. You may not vote on this poll
-
Administrator
Site Admin-

Originally Posted by
Quinny
..... I hadn't checked the MD5, (but I was confident in my download (never had a problem with cuteFTP in years!) When I then checked it, it was OK anyway!
I'm glad your md5 sum checked (assuming you checked it properly). But there is good resaon that we stress to new users to check it. I've never had a known bad download of any other file by FTP or HTTP either, but about 50% of the ISO files for Knoppix that I have downloaded from the mirrors have had bad md5 checksums. I've put some time into determining why this is, and I've determined, by binary editing of a good ISO and a corrupt ISO side by side, that sometimes the FTP transfer happend as a text transfer instead of a binary transfer. This "feature" of FTP replaces the bytes that look like Linux new line characters with the byte pairs that look like Microsoft cariage return / line feed characters. Good for text file transfers, will ruin your binary download.
I don't know why it's happening for me. I have my FTP client set up to force a binary transfer, not to "automatic". But still I would download for hours and frequently get a bad download. I can only guess that some setting is wrong on the mirrors that lets this happen. Obviously it only happens when you download to a Windows system, not when you download to another Linux system. I now use BitTorrent, which is faster, has built in error checking, and does not suffer this problem.
So rather than get into discussions with several users a day about FTP transfers that translate between different ascii formats, we tell users that it is important to check the md5 sum, which will catch this problem and any others. What I dont understand is why people like you ask for help but then will not make the check.
I'm glad that you have a good ISO. I don't know why you are having boot problems. Have you followed all of the instructions in the downloading faq? Have you tried the testcd feature at boot time? Have you tried using any cheat codes? My experience is very different than yours, the Knoppix CDs that I have burnt boot on every single computer I've even tried them on. Sometimes old memory starved 486s boot too slow to really be useful. Sometimes there are things like an old sound card that don't get recognized. Sometimes I've needed cheat codes (nodma on one system with versions 3.4 to 3.7; noscsi and acpi=off on another system for the same version range). But my CDs always boot on about 6 systems I have used them on here and on at least eight or nine systems of friends that I have given CDs to.
Similar Threads
-
By lbenn in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 5
Last Post: 05-25-2005, 12:54 PM
-
By AV087 in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 09-09-2004, 09:45 AM
-
By Dr Snark in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 02-08-2004, 11:51 PM
-
By ksation in forum The Lounge
Replies: 2
Last Post: 08-16-2003, 08:44 AM
-
By frankiejr in forum The Lounge
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-28-2003, 08:08 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1625.00

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD
$169.99

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter
$27.50

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$308.00

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$225.00

Dell PowerEdge R420 Server 2x Xeon E5-2440 v2 1.90GHz, 16GB , 8 Caddies NO HHD
$199.99