Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Damn blinking "_" ...

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2

    Damn blinking "_" ...

    Hi everybody, after a lot of lurking, here I am asking some advice on a problem...
    The scenario:
    - a medion notebook with 40 Gb of hd space.
    - 1 logical NTFS partition (2.5Gb) to boot win xp
    - 1 extended partition, subdivided in 1 ext3+1swap for linux and 3 fat32 for win. The ext3 partition is below the 1024 cylinders limit, since I cannot set the lba options in the bios.
    - I can run any flavour of knoppix without any problem from cd. I just have some problems with the wifi card, for wich I need to install every time additional drivers. So I thought of installing knoppix to hd to solve this problem.
    Now, I've chosen to install grub on the /root partition, not on the mbr. I then followed this procedure:

    Code:
    Run the following command: dd if=/dev/hda2 of=/mnt/floppy/linux.bin bs=512 count=1
    Copy the linux.bin file to C:\
    Edit C:\boot.ini
    Add the following line at the end: c:\linux.bin="Linux"
    Well, that done I reboot, choose Linux from the list and the screen becomes black, and the only thing I see is a blinking "_" ... At this point all I can do is rebooting to windows.

    Any advice on this ?
    Thank you in advance ...

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Belgrade, YU
    Posts
    334
    Most user install grub in MBR and than add a couple of lines in it, something like this:

    title Windows
    rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    makeactive
    chainloader +1

    So, you will have Linux boot menu, with Linux and Windows as options.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2
    That could be an option, but, if possible, I'd avoid it.
    The fact is I think there is something wrong in my installation of grub: if I boot via the live-cd and go to the root partition of the hd-installed knoppix, there is not a /boot/grub directory... I think something went wrong during the installation process, even if I did it twice ...

    Thank you for your help !

Similar Threads

  1. "forum" versus "board"
    By tmp000 in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 01-05-2005, 05:29 AM
  2. USR 56k PCI modem "busy"/"not found",rec
    By oman in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-03-2004, 06:44 PM
  3. "Connection Reset by Peer" or "hang"
    By oreo in forum General Support
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-23-2003, 06:33 PM
  4. "Foreign" drive formats and "dd" command
    By geebee2000 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-21-2003, 07:29 PM
  5. Locate Knoppix "group" in "K" menu
    By Juny in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-14-2003, 09:02 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



VMware vCenter Server 8 STANDARD Perpetual License Key VC-STD-C (Legacy Pack) picture

VMware vCenter Server 8 STANDARD Perpetual License Key VC-STD-C (Legacy Pack)

$1599.95



Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter picture

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter

$27.50



2x SAMSUNG 32GB DDR4  2RX4 PC4-2933Y SERVER MEMORY M393A4K40CB2-CVFC0 64GB TOTAL picture

2x SAMSUNG 32GB DDR4 2RX4 PC4-2933Y SERVER MEMORY M393A4K40CB2-CVFC0 64GB TOTAL

$300.00



Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1625.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$169.99



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$225.00