-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: DSL

Originally Posted by
Harry Kuhman
DSL is actually going to be much easier for you to set up and work with than dial-up. Exactly what you need to set up (such as PPPoE or PPPoA) depends on what country you are in and your ISP.
Okay. I am in the USA, using knoppix 3.6 and the kde 3.3.1. I did an "apt-get -t unstable install pppoe"
I couldn't run it as root from a terminal. I had to log into my kde desktop for root. Will I need to do that to conncent to DSL or just to run pppoeconf?
One simple piece of advice I can give you. If the DSL modem that your ISP provides does not include a built-in router (many do now), get an inexpensive DSL/cable router to server as a harware firewall and DHCP server. If you do this you should not have to configure anything at all in Knoppix, it should just boot and you will be connected to the network and the Internet as soon as you boot.
I am saving this valuable piece of information into a text file. Thanks!
If my ISP does provide a modem with a built in router does that mean it will also have a firewall?
I am new to all of this. I am particularly worried about the firewall as I heard DSL opens up your machine to continuous attacks.
This is particularly important if you plan on still using Windows.
I haven't used windows at home for over 4 years 
And do not let your ISP provide you with a USB network interface. Insist on an ethernet based interface.
Another piece of information I am saving to a text file. I am going to ask the ISP I am considering.
Is there anything else I need to know about DSL as a total newbie to it?
Steve
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Vintage Microsoft Windows 95 Full Version COMPLETE 3.5" Floppy Box Set 18 Disks
$114.99

Vintage Retro Cyrix 6x86 133mhz 32mb RAM Floppy Combo
$299.00

Ast Advantage Adventure 4050D Vintage Retro Computer Great Condition
$199.99

Vintage HP 21MX 1000 M-Series Minicomputer Chassis Backplane Parts AS-IS
$228.19

Vintage PSS Ram 65 Memory Board MM2114N-L 32 Socketed
$245.00

Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot
$316.95

Vintage Intel DX4 100MHz 486 Motherboard SBC CPU Board ALi Chipset Retro PC
$119.99

Vintage Intel 486 Motherboard Socket3-i486 DX2-66 CPU & Maxed L2 Cache(W24257AK)
$124.99

Vintage Sun Microsystems Type 5 Keyboard N860-8701-T010 Tested Working
$55.55

Vintage KanguruDisk Portable External Drive Module with Pouch - Rare Retro Drive
$114.88