-
Problem in re-saving a .doc file back to Hard Drive
Hi folks,
I encountered difficulty in re-saving a .doc file back to Hard Drive.
Steps performed as follow;
1) mounted hda5 (Hard drive)
2) started Konsole window as Root
$ su
# /opt/openoffice/program/swriter
to start OOo writer (OpenOffice Writer)
I can read and edit .doc files on [hda5] but I was not allowed to re-save them back to [hd5]
However started Kate on Konsole window as Root
I can edit .txt files on [hda5] and re-saved them back to [hda5].
Any help. TIA
B.R.
satimis
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Problem in re-saving a .doc file back to Hard Drive

Originally Posted by
satimis
Hi folks,
I encountered difficulty in re-saving a .doc file back to Hard Drive.
Steps performed as follow;
1) mounted hda5 (Hard drive)
2) started Konsole window as Root
$ su
# /opt/openoffice/program/swriter
to start OOo writer (OpenOffice Writer)
I can read and edit .doc files on [hda5] but I was not allowed to re-save them back to [hd5]
However started Kate on Konsole window as Root
I can edit .txt files on [hda5] and re-saved them back to [hda5].
Any help. TIA
B.R.
satimis
Two thoughts come to mind, on possible resolves...
( 1 ) How is /dev/hda5 being mounted? NTFS? Read/Write enabled? And what is the doc files "permissions" - Does the document have read/write permissions?
( 2 ) Since you dont have problems with txt files, maybe the doc files have been "protected", or "locked" from within Windows Word - some people do this to keep people from changing a document, in, like, large corporations. Check the "properties" of the document from within OO.
I havent had any problems using a root account to edit any file, but, the permissions on the file need to allow for write, even for root, sometimes. I have had problems changing files, and saving them, as a normal user, but, those were because the user didnt have permission to write changes.
Possibly someone else has more ideas, but, thats what I can come up with,
Hope this helps,
Ms. Cuddles
Similar Threads
-
By PaulKraemer in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-08-2006, 04:49 PM
-
By BrianC in forum General Support
Replies: 11
Last Post: 12-13-2005, 08:28 PM
-
By Jseegs in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 01-08-2005, 09:24 PM
-
By bruceg in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-06-2004, 03:51 PM
-
By Eradicator in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-21-2004, 05:29 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell PowerEdge R750 2x Xeon Gold 6326 96GB 12x1.92TB SSD H755 Win 2022
$4999.00

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed
$49.99

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1625.00

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93

Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server
$349.99

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed
$94.95