-
Booting From [NTFS] Partition
I used this tutorial: http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Win_Partition
But it doesn't seem to work, I keep getting this error:
Error 18: Can't mount from ISO (or somethign like that)
in the menu.lst file is says put the iso here: # Copy the also the 700MB knoppix ISO file into c:\boot\knoppix.37\ directory
but in the tutorial it says put it here: c:\boot\knoppix.36\. I have Knoppix 3.8.2. So I put the ISO in all 3 folders just in case, so the iso is in c:\boot\knoppix.37\ and c:\boot\knoppix.36\ and c:\boot\knoppix.381\. So, I restart my comp, run GRUB, then choose the Knoppix 3.8.1 ISO option, and I get that error, so I tried all of the otions and still get the error.
Any ideas?
-
Re: Booting From [NTFS] Partition

Originally Posted by
twiistedkaos
I used this tutorial:
http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Win_Partition
But it doesn't seem to work, I keep getting this error:
Error 18: Can't mount from ISO (or somethign like that)
in the menu.lst file is says put the iso here: # Copy the also the 700MB knoppix ISO file into c:\boot\knoppix.37\ directory
but in the tutorial it says put it here: c:\boot\knoppix.36\. I have Knoppix 3.8.2. So I put the ISO in all 3 folders just in case, so the iso is in c:\boot\knoppix.37\ and c:\boot\knoppix.36\ and c:\boot\knoppix.381\. So, I restart my comp, run GRUB, then choose the Knoppix 3.8.1 ISO option, and I get that error, so I tried all of the otions and still get the error.
Any ideas?
Well, first you should check that grub is starting: do you get the grub menu ?
If not, there is something wrong with your boot.ini or grldr file in the root of your boot drive.
If yes then you shoul have something like this somewhere in your c:\boot\grub\menu.lst:
title Knoppix 3.8.2 kernel 2.6 from NTFS hda1 ISO
kernel (hd0,0)/boot/knoppix.382/linux ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off vga=794 nomce quiet bootfrom=/dev/hda1/boot/knoppix.382/*.iso noprompt dma screen=1280x1024 (all in a single line)
initrd (hd0,0)/boot/knoppix.382/minirt_ntfs.gz
boot
and obviously you should have a directory c:\boot\knoppix.382 in which you have the 3 files: minirt_ntfs.gz, linux, and KNOPPIX_V3.8.2-2005-05-05-EN.iso. You can get the 2 first files from this link: http://s119307663.onlinehome.us/Knoppix382.zip
CF this forum: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...=asc&start=200
Hope this will help. Cheers, Gilles
-
i'll try that.And yes,grub is running.
edit:
Nope, I still get this error:
Code:
Booting 'Knoppix 3.8.2 Kernel 2.3 NFTS hda1 iso
kernel (hd0,0)/boot/knoppix.382/linux ect...
Error 19: Cannot Mout selected partition
Press any key to reboot
-

Originally Posted by
twiistedkaos
i'll try that.And yes,grub is running.
edit:
Nope, I still get this error:
Code:
Booting 'Knoppix 3.8.2 Kernel 2.3 NFTS hda1 iso
kernel (hd0,0)/boot/knoppix.382/linux ect...
Error 19: Cannot Mout selected partition
Press any key to reboot
Grub and Linux in general are very sensitive to the case of the filenames and directories names. So I would double check that the path used to store the iso file is matching the path in the kernel command line: bootfrom=/dev/hda1/boot/knoppix.382/*.iso ==> c:\boot\knoppix.382\KNOPPIX_V3.8.2-2005-05-05-EN.iso If you are using a sata drive, linux may use an other device name: /dev/sda1 instead of /dev/hda1. So I would run knoppix from the cd, mount the ntfs partition and use the df command to figure out what is the device used for your ntfs partition and update the kernel command line if required. Hope this help. Good luck, Gilles
-
Ok, i'm on livecd right now. On my desktop I have two HD Partitions, sda1, and sda2, sda2 has the: sda2/BOOT/knoppix.382/knoppix.iso, so in the menu thing would I change it to: c:\BOOT\knoppix.382\knoppix.iso ? or to /dev/sda2/boot/knoppix.382/knoppix.iso
-
ok, I tried c:\BOOT\knoppix.382\knoppix.iso, /dev/sda2/BOOT/knoppix.382/knoppix.iso, and /dev/sda1/BOOT/knoppix.382/knoppix.iso any more suggestions?
-

Originally Posted by
twiistedkaos
Ok, i'm on livecd right now. On my desktop I have two HD Partitions, sda1, and sda2, sda2 has the: sda2/BOOT/knoppix.382/knoppix.iso, so in the menu thing would I change it to: c:\BOOT\knoppix.382\knoppix.iso ? or to /dev/sda2/boot/knoppix.382/knoppix.iso
YES. Try: "bootfrom=/dev/sda2/BOOT/knoppix.382/knoppix.iso" Please, let me know... Cheers, Gilles
-
I tried this:
Code:
title Knoppix sda2
kernel (hd0,0)/BOOT/knoppix.382/linux ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off vga=794 nomce quiet bootfrom=/dev/sda2/BOOT/knoppix.382/knoppix.iso config=scan home=scan noprompt dma screen=1280x1024
initrd (hd0,0)/BOOT/knoppix.382/minirt_ntfs.gz
boot
but it didn't work.
Similar Threads
-
By anticspants in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-18-2007, 12:36 AM
-
By Krogen in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-20-2005, 04:02 AM
-
By zette in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-04-2005, 03:03 PM
-
By dannysosa in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 07-05-2004, 03:50 PM
-
By someguyonthestreet in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-15-2004, 09:55 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU
$11.00

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$239.99

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA
$350.48

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$179.98

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS
$84.49

DELL Precision 5820 Workstation Xeon W-2123 3.6ghz/NO RAM/NO SSD/P400 Vid
$139.99

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Gold 6130 2.10GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA
$374.48

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00

DELL Precision T3420 | Xeon 1240v6 | 525GB SSD |16GB RAM |Nvidia GPU |Win11
$149.00