Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: So Sorry...

  1. #1

    So Sorry...

    I want to apologize beforehand if this is a question you hear all the time from us dumb newbs with xp and ntfs, but I really need help. I went on a vacation and came back and my nice new computer decided not to work anymore. It was off the whole time, but when I started it up when I got back, it said that the HAL.Dll in system32 was not there and needed to be re-installed. I tried the recovery console, and it wouldnt even open the folder or give me a dir. I figure the whole thing is corrupt, and I want to know if the newest version of Knoppix would be able to write a copy of another computer with xp's system32 file from a cd on to my hard drive. I do have two cd drives so I wouldnt have to take the knoppix disk out, but I just want to know if it would work. I would really appreciate any help.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    From what I remember (I don't use Windows) the HAL.Dll error is pretty common (and pretty easy to fix). Chances are that it's all that's missing. Do a google for it and I think you'll find an easy cure which doesn't involve Knoppix.

  3. #3
    I had my dad download the program at the hospital, but before it finished I wanted to show my computer of to a friend so I just decided to re-install. The cool thing was that when chose to install and delete the old instalation, it just fixed it. I was quite happy about that, but both me and my dad are still really interested in knoppix, so we are still gonna download and use it. Thank you for replying anyway.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP,  (6 CDS) picture

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)

$10.00



KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit picture

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit

$19.99



Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive picture

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive

$5.99



KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED picture

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED

$11.99



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick

$20.85



VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION) picture

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)

$7.57



Knoppix NSM 1.2 picture

Knoppix NSM 1.2

$8.00



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick

$21.42



Hamshack Live DVD-ROM picture

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM

$7.00



Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006 picture

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006

$33.75