Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Busy device

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    6

    Busy device

    I have been trying to resize a HD where I have my linux installation. When I use QTParted I see the status of my device is BUSY, so of course if I try to resize the partition while it is busy the operation fails. Well it just happen that Knoppix is using the swap memory in that device and that is why is busy. So, how do I solve that? I have not been able to umount it does not matter how many times I try.
    Thanks

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Busy device

    Quote Originally Posted by lgarcia3
    ... using the swap memory in that device and that is why is busy. So, how do I solve that? ....
    Why not just run Knoppix off of the CD (like God intended) for this purpose rather than running the instance that you installed to the hard disk? If you do that and if you have no swap file the drive should be idle. Delete any swap file or swap partition if required and leave space to recreate it later, if needed.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    lgarcia3,

    I agree with Harry Kuhman, the reason the device is busy, is because you are using it - remove that usage, and the device will be available...

    As a side note:
    To remove the "swap" partition from the boot, off the Live CD, try a very useful cheatcode in your "boot:" prompt noswap

    Adding the "noswap" during the Live CD boot, will effectively remove the swap partition, even if Knoppix, during booting, sees it. If Knoppix, during booting, detects a swap partition, it will, attempt to use that swap, by using the above cheatcode, will force Knoppix to NOT use it, even if it happens to detect that one could be used.

    Not much more I can contribute, Harry Kuhman did a good job already
    Ms. Cuddles

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Good point Cuddles, thanks. I forgot aboiut using the noswap cheat, but that does make it ever easier.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    I try

    Besides, why blow away the swap, if you can "by-pass" it, especially if you are going to cfdisk the partitions.

    I like to keep the swap at the "tail" of the drive, and if you blow it away, you will have to do all the re-calculating agin to ensure it hits the right amount of MB at the end. Leave it, but, by-pass it, then go after the partitions, with the swap intact. I've done this a few times ( sheesh, memories of new hard drive installs, and the fun of "how much do I need to have 500MB left?" ouch! )

    Ms. Cuddles
    I do what I can, which, sometimes aint much, but, I try.

Similar Threads

  1. umount proc device busy?
    By maxmartin in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-28-2006, 07:00 AM
  2. swapon: /dev/hda5: Device or resource busy (etc...) ???!!!!
    By pcolamar in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-10-2005, 03:43 PM
  3. "Device Is Busy" when unmounting devices ARRRGH
    By sakiZ in forum General Support
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-30-2004, 10:34 AM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-22-2003, 05:20 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5 picture

GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5

$189.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



ASUS PRIME Z890-P WIFI Z890 LGA 1851 ATX motherboard, Intel® Core™ Ultra Series picture

ASUS PRIME Z890-P WIFI Z890 LGA 1851 ATX motherboard, Intel® Core™ Ultra Series

$235.99



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P picture

MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P

$71.49



MSI - B550M PRO-VDH WIFI (Socket AM4) AMD B550 MATX DDR4 Wi-Fi 6 Motherboard ... picture

MSI - B550M PRO-VDH WIFI (Socket AM4) AMD B550 MATX DDR4 Wi-Fi 6 Motherboard ...

$89.99



⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠ picture

⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠

$29.90



ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield

$84.99



ASRock IMB-X1314 LGA 1700 Intel W680 DDR4 Quad display Micro-ATX Motherboard picture

ASRock IMB-X1314 LGA 1700 Intel W680 DDR4 Quad display Micro-ATX Motherboard

$351.99