Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: New to Linux

  1. #1

    Re: CeBIT-news: Klaus presentated Knoppix 3.2

    Knoppix 3.2 has now KDE 3.1 and "persistant home" - a way to save
    the configuration also on hd and USB-Memory-Sticks.


    hello,
    linux newbie here.. I have tried the installation onto HD as below.
    short story about first tryout of Linux and installation

    My first download of Linux .. Knoppix 3.2 Random choice from many
    ...lucky choice it seems.
    3days later...(slow cable speed)
    burned iso to disc using Nero
    booted up.. all sound, video, disks, usb, cable modem etc. recognised 1st time.. so far so good. impressed!
    used the many programs included ...nice and stable very professional
    very impressed....wow useful stuff here. Im convinced
    must load onto hard disc.. looked around forums... found method
    then I used command line input as suggested to load onto hard disc.
    sudo /usr/local/bin/knx-hdinstall
    loaded on to my new 40GB disc 1st time..no problems
    set up something called LILO to choose between Linux and Windows
    everthing works ok.
    The only real trouble was choosing the partitioning stuff. It was a bit confusing but I must have been lucky. The printer setup was very easy too.
    Well done to all involved in this project from one with no Unix knowledge.
    The only problem I am having now is that I am a bit confused about mounting and unmounting the drives under KDE.
    many thanks again.
    Stephen

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: CeBIT-news: Klaus presentated Knoppix 3.2

    Quote Originally Posted by Stephenkent101
    The only problem I am having now is that I am a bit confused about mounting and unmounting the drives under KDE.
    many thanks again.
    Stephen
    How are you trying to mount them from the desktop or the console and which drive(s)?

  3. #3

    Re: CeBIT-news: Klaus presentated Knoppix 3.2

    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephenkent101
    The only problem I am having now is that I am a bit confused about mounting and unmounting the drives under KDE.
    many thanks again.
    Stephen
    How are you trying to mount them from the desktop or the console and which drive(s)?
    Dear Stephen,
    Mnay thanks for offer, I have found out how to do this now as have invested 15 quid in a linux book!
    Seems everything in Unix is a directory ( you probably knew that already). ie even Cdroms and Hard drives. All I had to do was click on a free space on the desktop and choose new Hard drive name from the list offered. Very easy when you know how.
    Im really getting used to the KDE interface now and have loaded up Limeware for some file sharing. Bit of a bother learning how to load binaries SH...did the trick
    As I use the computer for Education work (Teacher of Technology) I have almost all the software I will need onboard. Only problem is I use Autocad so will have to keep windows for a short while yet. Amazing software included and Ive already convinced a couple of colleauges about its stability and usefulnes.
    Thanks for you help.
    Im reading up on the command line stuff now.
    Im joining the groups to see if I can offer any tips for absolute beginners like myself.
    StephenK.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    Hi Spephen

    there is CAD software for Linux too. Can't comment on compatability or performance with regard to autocad, but doing a Google for

    CAD linux

    should turn something up. You could then try

    apt-get install "name of package"

    and with any luck there will be a deb version!

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Good to see your getting the hang of it. A good place for info is the The Linux Documentation Project also you may want to join some of the Debian Mailing List. I'd recommend at least the security lists to get security notices and maybe the Debian User list although that's high volume (usually 250-400 posts a day).

    Good luck and if you have any problems post back here.

Similar Threads

  1. linux to linux shares
    By realpc in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-15-2005, 04:55 PM
  2. Able to dual boot XP and linux but Linux goes to GRUB, help
    By istoleapig in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-19-2005, 09:28 AM
  3. Printing: XP to Linux or Linux to XP
    By mpeden in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-11-2004, 12:09 AM
  4. Dizinha Linux, New project for "Small" Linux
    By Lame_Duck in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-08-2004, 05:19 PM
  5. Microsoft-Linux!(MS-Linux)
    By bongski55 in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-08-2003, 04:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


HYNIX  HMA82GR7DJR8N - XN   3200AA    16GB 288 Pin RDIMM DDR4 Memory picture

HYNIX HMA82GR7DJR8N - XN 3200AA 16GB 288 Pin RDIMM DDR4 Memory

$105.00



Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit USB Flash Drive (HAV-00162) picture

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit USB Flash Drive (HAV-00162)

$36.99



SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory picture

SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory

$159.98



Micro SD Adapter To SD HC SDHC Memory Card Adapter Reader NEW picture

Micro SD Adapter To SD HC SDHC Memory Card Adapter Reader NEW

$1.39



Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



Server Memory: Samsung 32GB 4DRx4 PC4-2133P ECC LRDIMM DDR4 M386A4G40DM0-CPB picture

Server Memory: Samsung 32GB 4DRx4 PC4-2133P ECC LRDIMM DDR4 M386A4G40DM0-CPB

$124.95



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



Micron 8GB DDR4 PC4-2400T-SA1-11 / 1Rx8 SODIMM Laptop Memory RAM picture

Micron 8GB DDR4 PC4-2400T-SA1-11 / 1Rx8 SODIMM Laptop Memory RAM

$28.00



SK Hynix 32GB 2RX4 PC4-2666V DDR4 RDIMM Server Memory RAM, HMA84GR7AFR4N-VK picture

SK Hynix 32GB 2RX4 PC4-2666V DDR4 RDIMM Server Memory RAM, HMA84GR7AFR4N-VK

$169.95



RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED picture

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED

$445.00