Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: How to create a SwapPartition manual - For NEWBIES...

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mannheim/Germany
    Posts
    4

    How to create a SwapPartition manual - For NEWBIES...

    I am a Linux/Knoppix 3.8.1 Newbie. After several Problems i have install Knoppix on my hd - AND in difference to the most Users, i killed my fuckin Windows installation. Great to that point. Now to the Problem: How can i create a seperate SwapPartition??? There are some things i have tried:
    1. i create a Partition with cfdisk, size 750 MB, filesystem 82-Linux Swapfile.... But the Swapinstaller in the Knoppix-menu said, that tehre is no suitable partition....
    2. i start gtpart - but tht program wont work at all!
    3. i tried to format the swappartition with mkfs /dev/hda5. But the Swapinstaller in the Knoppix-menu said, that tehre is no suitable partition....

    So, did anyone have a simple stsp-bby-step how to do this?

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    30
    The easiest way is to create a partition with 3rd party software. It takes only a while to do it and I never screwed anything up that way. I use Partition Magic.

    Got it for about $50 online. Did it pay for itself? Yes.

    Just a tip: always make sure that you have a working backup of your whole hard drive. If something goes wrong, you can always revert to an earlier state. I use one of my network PCs to store backups on. You could also buy another hard drive and setup a raid mirror config.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Belgrade, YU
    Posts
    334
    Sorry Krogen, I think easiest way is to create a partition with cfdisk during Knoppix installation process. Why 3rd party software? Why Windows oriented softver? Can I use PM without MS Windows? I don't have MS Windows anymore. Than - why Knoppix at all? Many people complaind about PM any way.

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by tdjokic
    Sorry Krogen, I think easiest way is to create a partition with cfdisk during Knoppix installation process. Why 3rd party software? Why Windows oriented softver? Can I use PM without MS Windows? I don't have MS Windows anymore. Than - why Knoppix at all? Many people complaind about PM any way.
    Well, if you are a Windows user and trying to switch to Linux, the easiest way for a newbie would be to work IN WINDOWS (not in Linux that you have no idea about!) and make all the partitioning there... A lot safer then jumping into Linux and making partitions there. What if your Windows fails (like Xenayoo said) because he was trying to make a partition with cfdisk?

    I'm not a PC geek and I have never messed anything up when using Partition Magic.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    italy
    Posts
    245

    Re: How to create a SwapPartition manual - For NEWBIES...

    Quote Originally Posted by Xenayoo
    I am a Linux/Knoppix 3.8.1 Newbie. After several Problems i have install Knoppix on my hd...
    How can have you done an installation without a swp.part!? It seems to me that is mandatory to create one, in this case (that's mine) the swp.part would be inherited to installation.
    Hovewer I think the best way is to use cfdisk to make partitions, and qtparted to format a swap one. Don't pay nothing to nobody.
    >PS. I won't be very interested in $$$-programs, but if there isn't
    >anything free, I'll look at other options too.
    Linus Torvalds usenet first post:
    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...1fa90b29b3f287

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Belgrade, YU
    Posts
    334
    I'm not a PC geek and I have never messed anything up when using Partition Magic.
    I am not either, but my friend is (www.overburn.tk) and he messed his hdd with PM. I don't say PM will mess everything and all, but it happens. The best aproach is to prepare Windows with Windows programs, after that to go to Linux program and prepare Linux partition without touching Windows partition. In no way is the PC with very important data the playgorund for learning Linux, no sir! And I am sure Windows didn't fail because of cfdisk.

    Did you see this flash http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19155?

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mannheim/Germany
    Posts
    4

    Re: How to create a SwapPartition manual - For NEWBIES...

    Quote Originally Posted by maxIT
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenayoo
    I am a Linux/Knoppix 3.8.1 Newbie. After several Problems i have install Knoppix on my hd...
    How can have you done an installation without a swp.part!? It seems to me that is mandatory to create one, in this case (that's mine) the swp.part would be inherited to installation.
    Hovewer I think the best way is to use cfdisk to make partitions, and qtparted to format a swap one. Don't pay nothing to nobody.
    >PS. I won't be very interested in $$$-programs, but if there isn't
    >anything free, I'll look at other options too.
    Linus Torvalds usenet first post:
    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...1fa90b29b3f287
    Sorry, but that's it: I don't know, what linux ist doing. I think, that Linux use a swapfile on the one and only main partition. But i read somewhere, that it is a better solution to create a special partition for swapfile. So i try to create this manualy.

    My problem is not, how to create a partition. The real problem is: What should i do then? Should i format the partition? Is the Knoppix-Swap-Manager the right programm..... and so on...

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    italy
    Posts
    245
    This link had helped me:
    http://www.irongeek.com/i.php?page=videos/knoppix1

    It show you (with flash) how to format a swap partition with qtparted

Similar Threads

  1. Newbies? These guys aren't newbies!
    By Anna in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-10-2004, 11:09 AM
  2. Knoppix And Newbies
    By stokesg in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-05-2004, 11:44 AM
  3. Tip for newbies
    By Pater in forum Tips and Tricks
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-02-2004, 06:25 PM
  4. The newest of newbies...
    By Tortoise in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-23-2003, 02:31 AM
  5. Linux online course for Newbies
    By monkymind in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-03-2003, 04:22 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray picture

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray

$174.99



Apple Mac Pro (A1186,

Apple Mac Pro (A1186, "8Core" 2007)Xeon X5365-4GB Ram 1TB HDD OS XLeopard NVIDIA

$274.99



Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon 8th Gen: Core i7-10510U, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD, WIn 11 Pro picture

Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon 8th Gen: Core i7-10510U, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD, WIn 11 Pro

$299.99



AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1) picture

AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1)

$175.00



AMD Ryzen 7 9850X3D 8-Core 16-Thread 5.6GHz 120W AM5 CPU 100-100001973WOF picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9850X3D 8-Core 16-Thread 5.6GHz 120W AM5 CPU 100-100001973WOF

$435.99



Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake 8-Core, 16-Thread, 3.6 GHz (LGA 1151) picture

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake 8-Core, 16-Thread, 3.6 GHz (LGA 1151)

$189.99



SRF8X Intel Xeon Gold 6240 18 Core 2.60GHz 24.75MB 150W Processor  CPU picture

SRF8X Intel Xeon Gold 6240 18 Core 2.60GHz 24.75MB 150W Processor CPU

$19.99



AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 Zen 5 Desktop Processor NEW picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 Zen 5 Desktop Processor NEW

$398.00



8-Core 16-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor, High Performance CPU for Gaming & W picture

8-Core 16-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor, High Performance CPU for Gaming & W

$396.99



Intel Core i9-9900 SRG18 3.10GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i9-9900 SRG18 3.10GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 CPU Processor

$177.21