Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Not sure if Knoppix Related. Can't access a SD Card

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2

    Not sure if Knoppix Related. Can't access a SD Card

    I have a Secure Digital card that was corruped in my camera so it can not be read. I found some linix based applications that may be able to recover some pictures but first I have to use DD to copy the data to a file. I know I can't write to the local hard drive so I'm writing to a network share.

    The problem is when I put in this SD card the system doesn't reconize it. If I power down the system and install a different card it mounts it fine. I'm assuming the damaged card can't mount because it no longer has a FAT format.

    Any help would be appreciated. The card in question is 1 GB

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Not sure if Knoppix Related. Can't access a SD Card

    Quote Originally Posted by MannyLNJ
    ... I know I can't write to the local hard drive so I'm writing to a network share. ...
    It's not clear why you know this. Knoppix can write to a local partition just fine, as long as it's not an NTFS partition and you change it from the default read-only mount to read/write (with the mount command or by right clicking on the partition icon and using the actions sub-menu.)

    Quote Originally Posted by MannyLNJ
    ... a different card it mounts it fine. I'm assuming the damaged card can't mount because it no longer has a FAT format.
    Sounds like a reasonable assumption to me. You might see if gpart can help, but I don't know if gpart works with flash media or not (I would sugest some web searches before trial by fire). Could well be that any old pictures are lost.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2

    Re: Not sure if Knoppix Related. Can't access a SD Card

    [quote="Harry Kuhman"]
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyLNJ
    ... I know I can't write to the local hard drive so I'm writing to a network share. ...
    It's not clear why you know this. Knoppix can write to a local partition just fine, as long as it's not an NTFS partition and you change it from the default read-only mount to read/write (with the mount command or by right clicking on the partition icon and using the actions sub-menu.)

    I know it because the hard drive on the system that has the card readers is formatted as NTFS. And I know there is still no 100% safe way to write to a NFTS partition under Linux.

    I'll look into Gpart., but does this sound reasonable

    Step 1-On another computer on the network make a shared folder
    Step 2-While running Knoppix connect to the shared folder
    Step 3-Use DD to copy the data from /dev/whatever_the_card_shows_as to /share/folder
    Step 4-Use Gpart to try to recover data?

    If so what would the command I need to use in Step 3 be?

Similar Threads

  1. Two hardware-related problems with Knoppix 5.0.1
    By DaXiuyi in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 10-01-2006, 10:47 AM
  2. I'm new to knoppix , help needed , hardware related
    By Dark_W0lf in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-12-2006, 08:47 PM
  3. Issue with MythTV as related to Knoppix
    By shplad in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-18-2005, 05:20 PM
  4. configs.tbz/knoppix.sh related error message on boot
    By gadgerama in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-18-2005, 12:11 PM
  5. Video related knoppix problem
    By Pliskit in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-23-2004, 09:53 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD

$119.99



Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR picture

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR

$140.00



NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER picture

NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER

$1499.97



Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays picture

Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays

$799.99



Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB picture

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB

$149.99



Dell PowerEdge VRTX 2.5

Dell PowerEdge VRTX 2.5"x25 Bay Blade Enclosure 4x1600W + 4X M640 (4X Blades)

$1599.99



Cisco B200 M3 2x E5-2670V2 10 Core 8x 16GB-128GB Ram Blade Server VIC1240 14900R picture

Cisco B200 M3 2x E5-2670V2 10 Core 8x 16GB-128GB Ram Blade Server VIC1240 14900R

$399.00



Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working picture

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working

$149.99



Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5

Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5" 2x PERC 8, 2xCMC, I/O 1GB Pass Through, 4x PS

$578.08