Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Knoppix can't read the hard disk filesystem type?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2

    Knoppix can't read the hard disk filesystem type?

    Hey. I'm new to knoppix, got it a week ago. I've got a few problems though.

    first, I can't access my harddrives. when i click ''Hard Disk (sda) /mnt/sda/", a box shows up:

    "/dev/sda: Input/output error

    mount: I could not determine the filesystem type, and none was specified

    Please check that the disk is entered correctly."

    Of course, It is entered correctly, since i also use windows. could this be the problem? I've read on the web about knoppix being able to read almost all disks. These are SATA Drives, and I am no hardware freak, so i do not really know anything about what SATA is, But could that be the problem? I think the filesystem is FAT32, if that could be the problem. also, i can click "Hard disk (sys) /sys/" but i get another box with the text:

    "mount: only root can mount /sys on /sys

    please check that the disk is entered correctly"

    My other problem, (probably depending on this one) is that i can't save knoppix configuration. I've done it on a floppy disk, but when i type "knoppix myconfig=/mnt/auto/floppy", it makes an attempt to load the config, but it doesn't find the dir. and "knoppix myconfig=scan" doesn't work either, it won't find anything.

    And, this is not necessary, But i'd like to have sound enabled... is it possible with a live-cd?

    if you come up with an answer to these problems, please keep in mind that i cannot download any bigger files, since I'm using a 56k.

    Please help a learning Newbie.

    Thanks, GuessWho.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    100
    GuessWho,

    I won't be able to fix your problems, but I'll try to provide some pointers, and perhaps others may weigh in with their opinions.

    SATA problem: First of all, there is a problem with the drive name; it should not be sda but sdaX (X stands for a number, e.g.
    sda1). sda is the device itself, not the filesystem on that device. Also, there are two mutually exclusive drivers for SATA
    and it just might be that your Knoppix version uses the wrong one for you. I don't think you can do anything about this, at least not as long as you're running from CD (and I'm not suggesting a HD installation on a system where the hardware is not
    properly supported).

    Aside from that, it's not very helpful that FAT32 is not a problem.

    Your sound problem could simply be that the volume is set to zero - try KMenu->Multimedia->Kmix.

    Sorry for not being able to be of real help.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2
    Right, Thanks... I'll try Getting another version soon, guess I'll see then.
    Thanks for the concern...

    GuessWho.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    4
    try knoppix 3.8 its can read your sata hard disk

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    4
    sorry guys forget the 2

    knoppix v 3.8.2

Similar Threads

  1. FileSystem type for SCO 5.0.6
    By highanddry in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-27-2008, 04:59 AM
  2. Cannot determine filesystem type when trying to recover data
    By AlanDavidson in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-09-2007, 12:55 AM
  3. unable to mount and read hard disk partitions.
    By mersonmathew in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-14-2006, 04:36 PM
  4. cannot determine filesystem type
    By Flipster in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-27-2006, 07:38 PM
  5. How to read the hard disk?
    By NinaBlount in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-14-2005, 12:43 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11 picture

Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11

$62.55



MICRON MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6D1 32GB PC4-21300R DDR4-2666V RDIMM 2RX4 MEMORY DIMM picture

MICRON MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6D1 32GB PC4-21300R DDR4-2666V RDIMM 2RX4 MEMORY DIMM

$139.99



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$573.98



Lof ot 2 SK Hynix 16GB DDR4 2666MHz PC4-21300 2Rx8 SODIMM RAM HMA82GS6CJR8N-VK picture

Lof ot 2 SK Hynix 16GB DDR4 2666MHz PC4-21300 2Rx8 SODIMM RAM HMA82GS6CJR8N-VK

$334.99



Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



Samsung 64gb PC4-3200AA 2Rx4 DDR4 ECC LRDIMM Memory M393A8G40AB2-CWE - PARTS picture

Samsung 64gb PC4-3200AA 2Rx4 DDR4 ECC LRDIMM Memory M393A8G40AB2-CWE - PARTS

$1450.00



Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM  M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q picture

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q

$169.00



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$202.50



Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick picture

Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick

$289.80