Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Thousand of BAD Sectors on Hard Drive

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    4

    Thousand of BAD Sectors on Hard Drive

    Alright....

    ...I began this whole ordeal with the idea (more so, the complete knowing) that the hard drive I am working with is completely HOSED.

    However, I conneted the 30GB Toshiba Hard Drive to my laptop, ran Knoppix (from CD) and proceeded to format the drive.

    I ran the format with a -v so I could tell how it was doing....and WOW!

    Thousands of Bad Sectors!!!

    I am not expecting the format to take care of this, or should I? Is the hard drive really hosed if Knoppix can still tell that the sectors are bad?

    Let me know.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    earth, us, wa, kirkland
    Posts
    5
    Firstt what happend I realy woudn't put data on a bad drive do you hear it spinn it could just be returning random electricity to the mobo and some of it stands for bad sector
    could you read the drive befor?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    4
    I was able to read the drive before....however, for the longest time I would experience intermitent problems with it.

    Resulting from these setbacks I found myself firing BB after BB and pellet after pellet into the hosed drive.

    Did you know what BB will go through a 2.5" Hard Drive at 630fps??!! It's really quite amazing!

    Thanks for the help timothyatpir2.

Similar Threads

  1. dd_rescue for copying hard drives with bad sectors
    By don999 in forum Tips and Tricks
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-25-2012, 01:17 AM
  2. Copy file from hard drive to usb flash drive
    By PaulKraemer in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-08-2006, 04:49 PM
  3. Copying hard drive to hard drive new to linux
    By husalah5150 in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-22-2005, 05:06 PM
  4. Hard drive / data recovery / force show drive
    By Lintu in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-20-2005, 06:13 PM
  5. Hard Drive Salvage from corrupted Windows XP NTFS drive
    By kidsatacrux in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 08-03-2004, 07:41 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$269.10



Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet picture

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet

$147.00



Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC picture

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC

$49.99



Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB picture

Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB

$236.00



USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB picture

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB

$8.47



LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s picture

LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s

$39.80



Wholesale Sale 10/ 30/ 50/100pcs 256MB Metal Swivel USB Flash Drive Memory Stick picture

Wholesale Sale 10/ 30/ 50/100pcs 256MB Metal Swivel USB Flash Drive Memory Stick

$165.90



128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service picture

128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service

$39.99