Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23

Thread: NVIDIA Driver Installation

  1. #11
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    30
    Ok. Here's what I did.... Again....

    Downloaded the latest 2.6.11.11 linux kernel from http://www.kernel.org/. Extracted it (but not with tar in shell since this isn't a gzip... Or something). No errors, no warnings.

    ln -s /usr/src/linux-2.6.11.11 /usr/src/linux
    cp /boot/config-2.6.11 /usr/src/linux/.config
    cd linux
    make defconfig
    make menuconfig (checked support for raiserfs, scsi, unchecked Firewire - don't need it, unchecked telephony, checked the riva nvidia drivers and the default vga ones)
    make-kpkg clean
    make-kpkg --append-to-version=-310505 kernel_image (very few warnings, no errors)
    cd ..
    dpkg -i (the name of the deb in the /usr/src/).deb (it prompts me that it already exsists and I shouldn't do it if I don't know what I'm doing... Pressing Y anyways.
    same grub as posted already... not modified (everything's the same)

    REBOOT

    Choosing the new option in the grub

    Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel.
    Audit(-----some---numbers---here): initialized
    Kernel panic -not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block (0,0)



    Should I format this partition and try installing Knoppix again and then immidietely after that, install the new Kernel? Or is the above fixable? Any ideas?

    Thanks!!!!

  2. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Well, the point with copying the config from boot is so you can "make oldconfig" to get the same config that your running kernel has. Change defconfig to oldconfig and see if it helps.
    Before installing the kernel you can remove the old one: apt-get --purge remove kernel-image-2.6.11.11-310505
    or remove with: dpkg -P kernel-image-2.6.11.11-310505

    I don't think a reinstall is needed just for kernel compiling. If you want to install again, install Kanotix instead with which you can even use Kano's script for nvidia. It's a better hd install than knoppix anyway.

    BTW: With tar you unpack with:
    tar xvf xxx.tar
    tar xvzf xxx.tar.gz
    tar xvjf xxx.tar.bz2

  3. #13
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by Markus
    Well, the point with copying the config from boot is so you can "make oldconfig" to get the same config that your running kernel has. Change defconfig to oldconfig and see if it helps.
    Before installing the kernel you can remove the old one: apt-get --purge remove kernel-image-2.6.11.11-310505
    or remove with: dpkg -P kernel-image-2.6.11.11-310505

    I don't think a reinstall is needed just for kernel compiling. If you want to install again, install Kanotix instead with which you can even use Kano's script for nvidia. It's a better hd install than knoppix anyway.

    BTW: With tar you unpack with:
    tar xvf xxx.tar
    tar xvzf xxx.tar.gz
    tar xvjf xxx.tar.bz2
    Thanks for the tips.

    I can't get Kanotix to work on my PC. It keeps freezing for whatever reason (my guess is: hardware reasons). I checked the image I downloaded (with checksum) and it was ok, burned the cds twice and still now working.

  4. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Where did kanotix freeze?
    What was the last message displayed?
    Did you ask on kanotix forum or #kanotix ?

  5. #15
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    30
    This might be a whole another topic but it freezes exactly after the boot. If it doesn't, I can do things for couple of minutes and then, whatever I'm doing, I can't keep doing it because of the freeze. I tried ALT-F2 (ctrl-alt-f2? forgot which) into the shell but that didn't do it.

    I tried downloading a new image yesterday since I deleted my old one. After I finished downloading it (with Azureus Bittorrent) I checksumed it and the checksum prompted me that the image doesn't match the md5 file. So I did a force recheck in Azureus and, I guess, it saw an error in the image and started downloading a part of it again. 5 minutes or so passed and it finished it. Checksumed it again and it gave me a bad image error. So I went to Azureus again and did a force recheck. Again, it started downloading THE SAME part of the iso image! WTF? I tried doing the same thing about 3-4 times and the checksum kept giving me errors. Azureus kept downloading the file again and again!

    Could it be someone sending me wrong packets and corrupting the iso?

  6. #16
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by Krogen
    Could it be someone sending me wrong packets and corrupting the iso?
    That not only seems unlikely, but it seems extremely unlikely that when you downloaded again someone again managed to send you bad packets a second time.

    I would suggest that you try a different client against the dtata that you already have. I used Bittorrent 4.0.1 (there is a newer version out now) on Thursday morning and got the full thing in less than 2 hours. The md5 sum checked fine. Version 4 has some nice improvements over version 3. Maybe a different client will not be the answer, but it should be an easy test to know for sure. Bittorrent should be able to pick up nicely with what you have and fix it.

  7. #17
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    Quote Originally Posted by Krogen
    Could it be someone sending me wrong packets and corrupting the iso?
    That not only seems unlikely, but it seems extremely unlikely that when you downloaded again someone again managed to send you bad packets a second time.

    I would suggest that you try a different client against the dtata that you already have. I used Bittorrent 4.0.1 (there is a newer version out now) on Thursday morning and got the full thing in less than 2 hours. The md5 sum checked fine. Version 4 has some nice improvements over version 3. Maybe a different client will not be the answer, but it should be an easy test to know for sure. Bittorrent should be able to pick up nicely with what you have and fix it.
    What I did:

    Downloaded FlashGet. Downloaded a FlashGet plugin for Firefox. Found couple of servers with the latest version of Kanotix. Started downloading from one. Added a couple of alternate servers.

    Downloading for the whole time at about the maximum speed. Can't get any faster. (150KB/s.... VERY SLOW FOR A 3 megabit connection!).

    Will try burning it in a sec.

  8. #18
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    30
    Checked with checksum. OK. Burned.

    No freezes....

    Everything works.

    #sudo kanotix-installer

    modifying partitions and configuring...

    installing

    changing grubs config

    booting to kanotix... works! I mean, not really, freezes after about a minute of use. I'll try posting this in the kanotix forum and see what they come up with.

    Thanks everyone.

  9. #19
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    30
    GOT IT ALL WORKING!!!!

    I reinstalled Kanotix, again, set everything up, installed the nvidia driver.

    SMOOTH!

    Thanks!!!

  10. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Glad you got it to work, and I dare say you won't be sorry for going with kanotix.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. NVidia driver installation
    By zuki2000 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-25-2009, 02:16 AM
  2. nVidia driver installation
    By SnidelyWhiplash in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-14-2006, 06:41 PM
  3. Nvidia Installation
    By Rink in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-02-2004, 08:54 PM
  4. nvidia driver ?
    By nIght in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-03-2003, 09:28 PM
  5. Nvidia driver in hdd...
    By aryakori in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-26-2003, 06:17 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Amiga Model 1080 RGB color CRT monitor - Parts Or Repair - Doesn’t Power On picture

Amiga Model 1080 RGB color CRT monitor - Parts Or Repair - Doesn’t Power On

$100.00



ALS Storage Box with Assorted Amiga Format 3.5

ALS Storage Box with Assorted Amiga Format 3.5" Floppy Disks

$199.00



Microbotics Starboard 2MB + SCSI Sidecar for Amiga 1000 Vintage Computer READ picture

Microbotics Starboard 2MB + SCSI Sidecar for Amiga 1000 Vintage Computer READ

$329.00



Amiga 1000 Computer w/ Monitor Keyboard Mouse Disc Drive Sidecar Expansion Discs picture

Amiga 1000 Computer w/ Monitor Keyboard Mouse Disc Drive Sidecar Expansion Discs

$895.00



HighFlyer Amiga 4000 Tower & Bus Extender, Expansion Systems A4000T Kit picture

HighFlyer Amiga 4000 Tower & Bus Extender, Expansion Systems A4000T Kit

$888.50



Commodore Amiga 4000 Motherboard Rev B - untested picture

Commodore Amiga 4000 Motherboard Rev B - untested

$225.00



Amiga Emplant Emulator Card For Commodore Amiga 2000 4000 3000 picture

Amiga Emplant Emulator Card For Commodore Amiga 2000 4000 3000

$249.00



DCTV  Digital Creations Composite Television Commodore Amiga Converter Software. picture

DCTV Digital Creations Composite Television Commodore Amiga Converter Software.

$185.00



RGB2HDMI Amiga 500 UltraLong (Accelerator Friendly) HDMI Games, non-RTG A500 picture

RGB2HDMI Amiga 500 UltraLong (Accelerator Friendly) HDMI Games, non-RTG A500

$50.00



OPEN BOX - AMIGA Genlock Interface Vintage Video Adapter 1300- GREAT picture

OPEN BOX - AMIGA Genlock Interface Vintage Video Adapter 1300- GREAT

$329.95