-
hi
I to have a problem with Nvidia drivers
I compiled kernel then made changes to lilo.conf
but when I try to
#make-kpgk modules_image
It says:
Code:
The changelog says we are creating 2.6.11-monq-05-06-19, but I thought the version is 2.6.11
when I use Nvidia installer, the kernel_module compiles well but it sais that the version of kernel_sourse and kernel which i use are not the same (I compiled the kernel myself)
another way I tried was to do
#sudo module-assistant --k /usr/src/linux build nvidia
It compiled the nvidia kernel modulebut when I try to boot system with driver 'nvidia', I get info that kernel module has a bad format
what to do?
please help
-
this is how i got the nvidia driver to install:
apt-get install kernel-source-2.6.11
then go into /usr/src/kernel-source-2.6.11
cp -r --reply=yes * /usr/src/linux-2.6.11
this will copy everything from the current directory over to the other one. then :
cd /usr/src/linux-2.6.11
then i typed:
make all
it will run for awhile compiling stuff, eventually exiting with an error.
after it exits:
cd /path/to/NVIDIA-driver-installer.run
(where NVIDIA-driver-installer.run is the installer its self and /path/to is wherever you downloaded the installer to)
then run the installer and it will build the kernel module. then:
modprobe nvidia
it will load the kernel module. edit XF86config-4 and change the "nv" driver to "nvidia". then start X. open a terminal and type:
glxinfo |grep render
you should see something like:
Hardware rendering: Yes
this means the kernel module is installed and rendering for you. but it should be obvious when you start XFree86 and you get the Nvidia splash screen.
HOWEVER: please note that i haven't rebooted yet and i am unsure if running "make all" in the /usr/src/linux-2.6.11 directory will cause any issues. i don't "think" it will since i didn't run make install.....but still.....i'll update this later if there are any issues at reboot.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Kanotix has a script to do it....
This is what I do...in lovely Archlinux:
init 3
pacman -Sy kernel
pacman -Sy nvidia-legacy
And I'm done.
Similar Threads
-
By zuki2000 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 12-25-2009, 02:16 AM
-
By SnidelyWhiplash in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-14-2006, 06:41 PM
-
By Rink in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-02-2004, 08:54 PM
-
By nIght in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 10-03-2003, 09:28 PM
-
By aryakori in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 07-26-2003, 06:17 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs
$87.99

EMC KTN-SL3 15-Bay Disk Array Enclosure w/2x 303-108-000E Cards, Dual PSU,No HDD
$239.99

Promise Pegasus R6 Thunderbolt 2 RAID Storage 6Bay Enclosure G2U
$129.99

Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i
$228.00

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV
$18.95

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller
$64.99

LSI 9305-16i SATA SAS 12Gbs Controller card PCIe 3.0 IT-Mode w/SAS SATA cable US
$125.98

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00
$1619.26

Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004
$649.99

G-Technology G-SPEED Studio XL 48TB Thunderbolt 2 Storage - Housing Only
$200.00