-
apt-get install linux-kernel headers did the job.
I did the
# make-kpkg --append-to-version=-310505 kernel_image
And then got an error. I tried doing it again and about half and hour later it finished doing it. (no errors this time though a lot of warnings)
I did the
# dpkg -i kernel-image-your_version_name.deb
No errors. Went to see what's in the grub config file and it seems like Knoppix added bunch of lines on its own. Here's the file now:
title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.11 Default
root (hd0,1)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda2 ro ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off nomce quiet vga=791
initrd /boot/initrd.img
savedefault
boot
title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.11.11-310505
root (hd0,1)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.11.11-310505 root=/dev/sda2 ro ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off nomce quiet vga=791
savedefault
boot
title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.11
root (hd0,1)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.11 root=/dev/sda2 ro ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off nomce quiet vga=791
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.11
savedefault
boot
### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST
title Windows 2K/XP/2003 (sda1)
chainloader (hd0,0)+1
The first one's the old one that I always used. The second one is the new one.The third ones a backup (I guess) and the fourth entry is Windows.
Reboot.
Grub menu comes up. I select and boot from Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.11.11-310505.
error message [kernel panic]
audit (somenumbershere) initialized
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block (8,2)

Reboot.
I select the 'old' entry and boot from that. Works. Guess what though? Instead of waiting for knoppix to load for 30 seconds, like I always do, it booted in 10-15.
What did just happened? 
Back to the real problem though: installing the nvidia drivers. I'll try doing it now... Maybe it will work? Who knows...
Similar Threads
-
By zuki2000 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 12-25-2009, 02:16 AM
-
By SnidelyWhiplash in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-14-2006, 06:41 PM
-
By Rink in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-02-2004, 08:54 PM
-
By nIght in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 10-03-2003, 09:28 PM
-
By aryakori in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 07-26-2003, 06:17 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Vintage Apple II Avant-Garde Creations Super Shape Draw And Animate 1981
$295.00

Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New
$75.00

Vintage HP Hewlett Packard 2112A 21MX 1000 M-Series 16-Bit Minicomputer
$419.99

Vintage ECS Micro-ATX Desktop Case | Beige/Dark Grey | *READ*
$80.00

Vintage AMD-K6-2/333AFR 2.2V CORE 3.3V CPU Processor NOS Windows 95 NT 1998 NEW
$39.41
![Apple Macintosh Boot Disk System [1.0 - 8.0] 400/800k/1.4 Floppy for Vintage Mac picture](/store/img/g/EhEAAOSwg7ZnexmU/s-l225/Apple-Macintosh-Boot-Disk-System-1-0-8-0-400-800k-.jpg)
Apple Macintosh Boot Disk System [1.0 - 8.0] 400/800k/1.4 Floppy for Vintage Mac
$14.75

Rare Vintage Macintosh Apple Wooden Disk Storage Box Dovetailed
$69.95

Enfocus PitStop Professional 4.6 Software Adobe Acrobat SEALED Vintage 2000
$50.00

Vintage (1979) Sanyo VM-4209 ‘Videoscope’ Monitor - Working
$325.00

Vintage 1986 Goldenrod Research Corp CP/M Desktop Computer Syste w/Keyboard
$350.00