Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 17 of 17

Thread: Network card not working (not pulling IP address from DHCP)

  1. #11
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    14
    I manuallly set my ip address, subnet mask, gateway, broadcast and name servers on my card with no problem and knoppix reports that it is done (setttings are then shown when I execute ifconfig), but still no internet connection.

    So I don't think a router will solve the problem unfortunately. I might go out and buy one just to check and return in later on.

    Any other possibilities? I've looked at cheat codes and nothing there seems that it would help, and I've checked IRQ's and the NIC has its own.

    I found this in another post that was to a user who was experiencing some frustrations as well and said that all they were getting after 4 hours of tinkering was a burnt dinner and a headache (slightly different problem, but still might try it as it sounds fun!)

    Turn oven down to a lesser temp so it cooks slower and drink a good French wine. ok ok......

    Matt

  2. #12
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    14

    Some more info.

    Here are the results from after I manually set the NIC, connecting straight to my cable modem. I can ping myself, have good activity lights on my NIC, but cannot ping outside (or do anything on the internet).

    ifconfig
    eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:01:03:1D:7E:7C
    inet addr:68.51.xxx.xx Bcast:68.51.xxx.255 Mask:255.255.248.0
    inet6 addr: fe80::201:3ff:fe1d:7e7c/64 Scope:Link
    UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:1166 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:1 frame:0
    TX packets:24 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:73636 (71.9 KiB) TX bytes:4178 (4.0 KiB)
    Interrupt:10 Base address:0x1000

    lo Link encap:Local Loopback
    inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
    inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
    RX packets:24 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:24 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
    RX bytes:1676 (1.6 KiB) TX bytes:1676 (1.6 KiB)

    lspci -v
    0000:00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corp. 440BX/ZX/DX - 82443BX/ZX/DX Host bridge (rev 03)
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64
    Memory at ec000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=64M]
    Capabilities: [a0] AGP version 1.0

    0000:00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corp. 440BX/ZX/DX - 82443BX/ZX/DX AGP bridge (rev 03) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
    Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 128
    Bus: primary=00, secondary=01, subordinate=01, sec-latency=64
    Memory behind bridge: e9000000-e9ffffff
    Prefetchable memory behind bridge: f0000000-f80fffff

    0000:00:07.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corp. 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 ISA (rev 02)
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0

    0000:00:07.1 IDE interface: Intel Corp. 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 IDE (rev 01) (prog-if 80 [Master])
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64
    I/O ports at 10c0 [size=16]

    0000:00:07.2 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 USB (rev 01) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 9
    I/O ports at 1080 [size=32]

    0000:00:07.3 Bridge: Intel Corp. 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 ACPI (rev 02)
    Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 9

    0000:00:0f.0 Ethernet controller: 3Com Corporation 3c905C-TX/TX-M [Tornado] (rev 78)
    Subsystem: 3Com Corporation 3C905C-TX Fast Etherlink for PC Management NIC
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 80, IRQ 10
    I/O ports at 1000 [size=128]
    Memory at e8000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=128]
    Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 2

    0000:00:10.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Live! EMU10k1 (rev 07)
    Subsystem: Creative Labs CT4780 SBLive! Value
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 9
    I/O ports at 10a0 [size=32]
    Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 1

    0000:00:10.1 Input device controller: Creative Labs SB Live! MIDI/Game Port (rev 07)
    Subsystem: Creative Labs Gameport Joystick
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64
    I/O ports at 10d0 [size=8]
    Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 1

    0000:01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV25 [GeForce4 Ti 4200] (rev a2) (prog-if 00 [VGA])
    Subsystem: CardExpert Technology: Unknown device 1603
    Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 11
    Memory at e9000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
    Memory at f0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=128M]
    Memory at f8000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=512K]
    Capabilities: [60] Power Management version 2
    Capabilities: [44] AGP version 2.0

    lsmod
    Module Size Used by
    tsdev 9664 0
    evdev 11008 0
    md5 7680 1
    ipv6 234912 6
    lp 13448 0
    snd_pcm_oss 47904 0
    snd_pcm 77828 1 snd_pcm_oss
    snd_timer 23684 1 snd_pcm
    snd_page_alloc 11268 1 snd_pcm
    snd_mixer_oss 18688 1 snd_pcm_oss
    snd 46308 4 snd_pcm_oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer,snd_mixer_oss
    ide_floppy 18944 0
    autofs4 18820 1
    af_packet 20104 0
    agpgart 30512 0
    emu10k1 72196 0
    sound 71812 1 emu10k1
    soundcore 11104 3 snd,emu10k1,sound
    ac97_codec 20108 1 emu10k1
    3c59x 42024 0
    mii 7808 1 3c59x
    i2c_piix4 11408 0
    i2c_core 21248 1 i2c_piix4
    emu10k1_gp 6912 0
    gameport 7552 1 emu10k1_gp
    parport_pc 38596 1
    parport 33480 2 lp,parport_pc
    8250 41692 0
    serial_core 21120 1 8250
    unionfs 830612 0
    sbp2 24456 0
    usb_storage 63296 0
    ehci_hcd 31752 0
    ohci1394 33028 0
    ieee1394 300600 2 sbp2,ohci1394
    usbhid 42176 0
    ohci_hcd 21896 0
    uhci_hcd 31376 0
    usbcore 101496 6 usb_storage,ehci_hcd,usbhid,ohci_hcd,uhci_hcd
    pcmcia 21776 0
    yenta_socket 21896 0
    rsrc_nonstatic 12160 1 yenta_socket
    pcmcia_core 42272 3 pcmcia,yenta_socket,rsrc_nonstatic
    apm 22252 2
    rtc 13772 0
    ext3 124552 0
    jbd 65060 1 ext3
    reiserfs 232304 1

    dmesg showed this interesting thing (is this normal that I don't have a router up?):
    eth0: no IPv6 routers present

    From looking at that can anyone see any problems? I appreciate the patience all of you have had so far.

    Matt

  3. #13
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    14
    I just tried to see if I could get a network connection going with Ubuntu live CD and it did not work either.

    It has to be a hardward problem other than the NIC (I have tried two separate ones). I'm afraid this box I'm trying to work on, will not be able to be used for Linux.

  4. #14
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattr35
    I'm afraid this box I'm trying to work on, will not be able to be used for Linux.
    If Linux otherwise works on the box, any you've eliminated the NIC as the issue, then I don't see how it can be the box that is the problem.

    Sounds much more likely that it's something "different" aout your ISP and their setup. I will be very surprised if you do attach a router and, once you have it working for a Windows system, you can't just reboot into Knoppix just fine (one thing, don't use a Belkin router, my Belkin is the only brand of router that I have forund that doesn't DHCP with Linux properly).

  5. #15
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    14
    Ok Harry, you convinced me. I'm going to grab a quick bite to eat then run to Best Buy and grab a router and see what I can do.

    Back a bit later with the results.

    Matt

  6. #16
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    14

    Success!



    First I went to lunch at a BBQ place I was meaning to try (never try to solve computer stuff on empty stomach, right?).

    Then I went off to my local Best Buy. Ended up buying a Linksys WRT54G for $39. Don't need wireless atm but in the future I will.

    Got it up and running on the windows box no problem. So then I hooked up a cable from my linux box to the router and turned it on. Once up I opened a root terminal and ifconfig and saw my old settings from setting it up manually. So I ran netcardconfig and it worked!

    So now I'm typing this on my linux box.

    That is so weird that I could not connect straight through, but had to go through a router. Oh well, mission accomplished.

    Matt

  7. #17
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Success!

    Quote Originally Posted by Mattr35


    First I went to lunch at a BBQ place I was meaning to try (never try to solve computer stuff on empty stomach, right?).

    Then I went off to my local Best Buy. Ended up buying a Linksys WRT54G for $39. Don't need wireless atm but in the future I will.

    Got it up and running on the windows box no problem. So then I hooked up a cable from my linux box to the router and turned it on. Once up I opened a root terminal and ifconfig and saw my old settings from setting it up manually. So I ran netcardconfig and it worked!

    So now I'm typing this on my linux box.

    That is so weird that I could not connect straight through, but had to go through a router. Oh well, mission accomplished.

    Matt
    How was the BBQ?

    Gald to hear that the router did indeed resolve your problem. I posted back in 2003 "Overall I think half of all network problems posted here would go away or at least be resolved much faster if the posters were using routers" and that's still an opnion I hold strongly.

    I expect you'll be pretty happy with the WRT54G. It's not the cheapest router out there, but there are a wealth of great enhancements that have been produced by the Open Source community for it (yes, it runs Linux), something (the enhancements) I don't know of for any other commercial home router. The growing number of features and enhancements would be, at least to me, a valuable feature. You got yours at the best price I've seen for that particular router.

    If you do learn what the issue with connecting directly to your ISP is, please post back. Since you have multiple systems, if you have a hub you might even be able to "sniff the wire" with a packet sniffer like ethereal and watch the DHCP handshake take place (yup, it is in Knoppix, at least was the last time I looked).

    Good luck with your deployment.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-30-2006, 07:25 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-22-2006, 07:10 PM
  3. network card boot-up problem, doesn't get dhcp address
    By J0hnP1pe in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-22-2005, 08:08 AM
  4. Network card eth0 start with DHCP !!!!!
    By fabry6210 in forum Networking
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-27-2004, 09:25 PM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-29-2003, 06:38 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$115.00



BOSGAME E4 Air Mini PC, AMD Ryzen 5 3500U 8GB DDR4 256GB SATA SSD picture

BOSGAME E4 Air Mini PC, AMD Ryzen 5 3500U 8GB DDR4 256GB SATA SSD

$169.99



Dell SonicWall TZ400 Network Security Appliance Firewall New picture

Dell SonicWall TZ400 Network Security Appliance Firewall New

$295.00



VA Linux 1120 1U Rackmount Server picture

VA Linux 1120 1U Rackmount Server

$100.00



Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026 picture

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026

$12.99



Dell R730 AI Home Lab Server 128GB RTX 3060 Ti Dual Xeon 20-Core picture

Dell R730 AI Home Lab Server 128GB RTX 3060 Ti Dual Xeon 20-Core

$999.00



OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC picture

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC

$175.00



Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU picture

Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU

$649.00



SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA picture

SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA

$284.99



Hitachi 14TB SATA 6Gb/s, 3.5”, 7200 RPM, Linux Only Hard Drive. 100% HEALTH. picture

Hitachi 14TB SATA 6Gb/s, 3.5”, 7200 RPM, Linux Only Hard Drive. 100% HEALTH.

$197.00