-
Writting to a vfat HD
I am running Knoppix 3.2 from the CD on a pentium III system, with Windows millenium.
I am having problems saving stuff to my HD on /dev/hda2 mounted on /mnt/hda2. I get messages stating that the filesystem is read only.
I tried as root to change the file permission of the location I was trying to save to with chmod 777 SOMEFOLDER and I got the same message, that the filesystem is read only.
I looked at /etc/fstab, but I really do not know how or where it is specified that my HD has to be mounted as a read only filesystem; here it is:
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
pts /dev/pts devpts mode=0622 0 0
/dev/fd0 /mnt/auto/floppy auto user,noauto,exec,umask=000 0 0
/dev/cdrom /mnt/auto/cdrom auto user,noauto,exec,ro 0 0
/dev/cdrom1 /mnt/auto/cdrom1 auto users,noauto,exec,ro 0 0
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 auto noauto,users,exec 0 0
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/hda2 /mnt/hda2 vfat noauto,users,exec,umask=000,uid=knoppix,gid=knoppi x 0 0
Any ideas. Thank you.
-
Senior Member
registered user
I'm not in the habit of using Knoppix from the CD but I do believe it is possible to right click the icon representing your particular partition and select "read/write".
edit
You may need to 'umount' first before you can change read only to read/write.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Writting to a vfat HD
' mount /mnt/hda2 -oremount,rw ' as root. chmod won't work with a non-*NIX filesystem like fat32 or ntfs.

Originally Posted by
mangancha
I am running Knoppix 3.2 from the CD on a pentium III system, with Windows millenium.
I am having problems saving stuff to my HD on /dev/hda2 mounted on /mnt/hda2. I get messages stating that the filesystem is read only.
I tried as root to change the file permission of the location I was trying to save to with chmod 777 SOMEFOLDER and I got the same message, that the filesystem is read only.
-
Senior Member
registered user
http://www.libranet.com/support/view...item=0155.html
the libranet link shows you how they set up a windows partition so it is writable;
they use:
defaults,umask=002,...
HTH
rock
-
Thank you.
I tried right clicking the hda2 icon, then properties... and then unchecking the READ ONLY box.... duuuuuh!
Thank you again.
Similar Threads
-
By cld in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-26-2004, 05:33 PM
-
By Alexxx in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 7
Last Post: 03-09-2004, 02:08 PM
-
By wrangler007 in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 10-10-2003, 05:12 AM
-
By garyng in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-24-2003, 10:57 AM
-
By pc_dev in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-21-2003, 04:08 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC
$49.99

128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service
$39.99

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot
$269.10

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB
$8.47

Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB
$282.00

LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s
$39.80

Lenovo 2TB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Metal Pendrive High Speed Data Storage
$9.50

Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive
$35.00

FLASHFORGE 3D Printer AD5X Multi-Color IFS Auto Refill High Speed Printing US
$349.00