search for or install guarddog
I am new to Linux and esp. to Knoppix. I am using Knoppix 3.2 as my desktop OS and am very happy with its performance. From my experiance with Windows, I remember, Norton firewall used to remind me every now and then about intrusion while net surfing. Do we have any such tool in Knoppix to be aware of any such intrusion ?
search for or install guarddog
Guard Dog ! But thats a Mcafee product and is that available for Knopix 3.2 ?
So you mean without that, running Knoppix is unsafe from such intrusions ?
guarddog not Guard DogOriginally Posted by 3dmatrix
http://www.simonzone.com/software/guarddog/
search for guarddog somewhere in the menu
or
go to konsole and run guarddog
if it is not installed yet
apt-get install guarddog
test if you are safe or not. click on Shields up
https://www.grc.com
Thanx Oscar
I would look for that and return.
Bye
Downloaded but unable to install guarddog on Knoppix 3.2
make was fine but make install didnd work
Received the following messages :
knoppix@ttyp0[src]$ make install
make[1]: Entering directory `/ramdisk/home/knoppix/Desktop/guarddog-2.4.0/src'
/bin/sh ../admin/mkinstalldirs /usr/bin
/bin/sh ../libtool --silent --mode=install /usr/bin/install -c -p guarddog /usr/bin/guarddog
/usr/bin/install: cannot create regular file `/usr/bin/guarddog': Read-only file system
make[1]: *** [install-binPROGRAMS] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/ramdisk/home/knoppix/Desktop/guarddog-2.4.0/src'
make: *** [install-am] Error 2
Please Help.
If you are running from CD & do not have a hard drive installed knoppix system, then you will not be able to install any programs outside of your /home/knoppix because the CD-ROM filesystem is read-only. You could try to install it to your /home/knoppix space./usr/bin/install: cannot create regular file `/usr/bin/guarddog': Read-only file systemCode:mkdir /home/knoppix/gd ./configure --prefix=/home/knoppix/gd make && make install
"Firewalls" are already in the linux kernel. Guarddog is a GUI that lets you configure the iptables. Check and see if there is a
klik for it available. You will need a persistent home to keep it during a reboot tho. I use Kanotix because kilks are already
enabled, Guarddog is already installed and USB /home works (knoppix has usb problems for me).
When I tried to install it in gd directory the installation was completed but I was unable to run guarddog. Received the following error messages :
Error - Guarddog
An error occured while reading the protocol database.
Details :"Unable to open the network protocol database XML file."
knoppix@ttyp1[gd]$ cd bin
knoppix@ttyp1[bin]$ guarddog
QFile:pen: No file name specified
When I tried to open the xml file in the apps dir by guarddog exec then the curser remained busy for a while and then again nothing happened.
I cannot find any klik or Kanotix or anything simmilar.
If a firewall is present in the kernal how can I tweek it ?
Pref. through GUI !

TEAMGROUP T-Force Zeus 64GB (2x32GB) DDR4 2666MHz PC4-21300 Desktop RAM Kit
$199.99
Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit
$99.99
A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G
$21.68
Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC
$29.99
Lot 43 Mixed Brands Micron MT16KTF1G64HZ-1G6N1 8GB 2Rx8 PC3L-12800S-11-13-F3 RAM
$649.99
Micron 32GB (16GBx2) DDR4 1Rx8 PC4-3200AA-ED2-11 ECC MTA9ASF2G72AZ-3G2B1ZI
$299.99
Crucial DDR3L 16GB 2 x 8GB 1600 MHz PC3L-12800 Laptop RAM Sodimm Memory 1.35V
$41.00
Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory
$189.00
Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1
$399.00
G. SKILL 32GB UDIMM 2400 MHz PC4-19200 DDR4 SDRAM Memory (F42400C15Q32GRK)
$150.00