-
KDE vs. Gnome
Dear Gurus,
I have to select my prefered Desktop Manager (for Knoppiix and not just for Knoppix).
What do you prefer personaly and why?
Please share your ideas and impressions.
Thank you
-
Senior Member
registered user
It ends up being a personal preference thing, you will have to try both & then choose. Personally I prefer KDE, the applications are better (Konqueror vs Nautilus for instance) & the apps are better integrated. On the other hand Konqueror will run on a Gnome system but you do have to load in a bunch of KDE basic dependencies.
There are also some who prefer xFCE &/or some other lighter weight window manager as well. Xfce is pretty capable & you should at least have a look at it. For me its biggest shortcoming was that you couldn't plaster icons all over the desktop.
-
Senior Member
registered user
he he, not exactly a guru can define myself
I work with some newer and other aldest machines, with firsts I like kde and for low/performances ones I opt for icewm.
Times ago I've tryed a self claimed old/pc minimalist distro called Beatrix, with gnome as default desktopM. I was impressed how many faster was knoppix/kde to run openoffice instead lightewight beatrix/gnome. I don't know if it is due to well builded knoppix vs. beatrix or kde vs. gnome, but I decided at that time that only knoppix was my general-purpose choice of distro.
Similar Threads
-
By HatGuy in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 09-02-2007, 03:29 PM
-
By Jameson in forum The Lounge
Replies: 11
Last Post: 01-17-2005, 08:58 PM
-
By beforewisdom in forum Ideas
Replies: 9
Last Post: 12-23-2003, 02:10 PM
-
By Adeel in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 10-23-2003, 09:31 PM
-
By papasi in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 07-30-2003, 09:50 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Vintage Creative Sound Blaster AWE64 Gold CT4390 ISA Sound Card - UNTESTED
$225.00

Vintage NEC CDR-1410A 50 Pin SCSI CD-ROM Optical Drive Used
$39.99

VINTAGE Custom Built Desktop-AMD [email protected] 8GB RAM 80GB HDD NO OS-READ
$160.00

Vintage Iwill XA100 Plus Super Socket 7 Motherboard + K6-III 450 + 896mb READ
$179.99

Vintage Microsoft Write Version 1.0 Brand New
$99.99

Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot
$316.95

Lot of 4 Intel C8102A-4 Vintage Ceramic Gray Trace Chip - SOLDER PULLS (BO)
$200.00

Early Intel 3301 White Cap Vintage Ceramic chip - ALL LEGS INTACT (BO)
$750.00

Vintage Teac FD-505 5.25" 3.5" Combo Drive 19307571-00
$199.99

Vintage Gazelle Systems OP-Tune 1.3 Box Complete CIB Dual Floppy 3.5 5.25 DOS
$54.99