Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Can't boot from new hard drive

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Southern Maine, US
    Posts
    274

    Can't boot from new hard drive

    I find myself to be quite dissatisfied with this small 3 gb harddrive, so I took a 20 gb hd that I got from someone who didn't need it, and stuck it in the hdc place (I ditched the cd-rom). I partitioned it, and used dd to put everything from the current partition (hdb1) to the new one (hdc1). Then I ran fs2resize (or something similar to that) on hdc1 to resize the thing. Then I turned off, took out the 3 gb hard drive, and put in the 20 gb hard drive. Then I booted, and it hung at the MBA screen, something to do with PXE....So I stuck the old one back in, and changed GRUB to have Linux be hd2,0 and added the root=/dev/hdc1 option. That didn't work either. So I stuck the hard drive in hdc (again ditching the cd-rom), and it made it past the bootloader, but still didn't work once it got to the kernel-panic-ness. This may be a case of a fuXxored hard drive...But what should I have in GRUB under the Linux boot option?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Southern Maine, US
    Posts
    274
    ehh....sorry about the double topics....i thought i did something bad with the [/code] at the end of the first, so i stopped mid-transmission....can a mod delete the first one or something?

Similar Threads

  1. Transfer From USB boot to hard drive boot.
    By FSL in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-15-2009, 10:18 PM
  2. Boot without hard drive?
    By Scorpio123 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-24-2007, 08:26 PM
  3. How to boot from my Hard-drive using Knoppix v3.3?
    By frastitute in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-03-2005, 02:29 PM
  4. How to have a hard drive automounted at boot?
    By DimGR in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-11-2004, 05:53 AM
  5. Is is possible to boot Knoppix from a USB hard drive?
    By pkobos in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-24-2003, 09:26 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


EARLY INTEL 3101 Vintage Ceramic chip. ALL LEGS INTACT (BO) picture

EARLY INTEL 3101 Vintage Ceramic chip. ALL LEGS INTACT (BO)

$350.00



Vintage NEC CDR-1410A 50 Pin SCSI CD-ROM Optical Drive Used picture

Vintage NEC CDR-1410A 50 Pin SCSI CD-ROM Optical Drive Used

$39.99



VINTAGE Custom Built Desktop-AMD A6-3500@2.10GHz 8GB RAM 80GB HDD NO OS-READ picture

VINTAGE Custom Built Desktop-AMD [email protected] 8GB RAM 80GB HDD NO OS-READ

$160.00



Vintage Sony CD-ROM Drive CDU5211 IDE Optical Used picture

Vintage Sony CD-ROM Drive CDU5211 IDE Optical Used

$19.99



Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot picture

Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot

$316.95



MOS MCS1026 Vintage Ceramic Chip - missing multiple legs (BO) picture

MOS MCS1026 Vintage Ceramic Chip - missing multiple legs (BO)

$250.00



Zilog Z80A-P10 Z80 Vintage Ceramic chip - ALL LEGS INTACT (BO) picture

Zilog Z80A-P10 Z80 Vintage Ceramic chip - ALL LEGS INTACT (BO)

$150.00



INTEL C3404 VINTAGE Ceramic Gray Trace Chip ALL LEGS INTACT (BO) picture

INTEL C3404 VINTAGE Ceramic Gray Trace Chip ALL LEGS INTACT (BO)

$250.00



HP OmniBook 425 Vintage Computer RARE Computer Only WORKS W/Flashdisk picture

HP OmniBook 425 Vintage Computer RARE Computer Only WORKS W/Flashdisk

$299.99



Rare Vintage Qume QVT-102 Terminal w Keyboard Damaged READ picture

Rare Vintage Qume QVT-102 Terminal w Keyboard Damaged READ

$129.00